• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Site Review

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi all please be nice.

Site: john145.com

General
Is this site completed or under construction? Still under construction, although near complete

If completed:
How long has the site been up?

SEO Do you have incoming links? No

What keywords are you targeting? Messianic shirts, Messianic t-shirts, Yeshua T-Shirts, Hebrew Jesus shirt, Hebrew Christian shirts

Do you want your code reviewed for errors or improvements? Yes if it will help

Marketing
Who is your target audience? Think about:
Nationality: Jewish
Age Range: 30-50
Income/Education level: 25K-100K
Likes/Dislikes: Want a more Jewish/Hebraic product compared to the masses

The more you tell us about your target audience, the better. We don't know them- you do!

There isn't a company that I know of that specializes in this niche to service them.

Target are people looking for designs that represent particular religion/religious movement

Why is your site different from sites selling/offering similar info/goods/services?

Because there isn't a company that specializes in such designs for the niche.

Why will someone want to do business you?

Because of my cause. And I offer designs representing the religion/religious movement

How important is usability? Not sure about this question

What is the purpose of the site? (inform, sell, online community, support B&M business, contact info only, etc)

To help the particular religion/religious movement promote to a particular Nationality with unique and innovative designs that represent the religion/religious movement.

If there is a sun purpose it would be to those that seek and appreciate the unique and innovative designs for the particular religion/religious movement.
Design
Do you want design suggestions? Yes

Thanks,

Marc

#2 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hi there,

My initial thoughts are that it looks kind of 'carty' if you know what I mean, as if it looks very much like an out of the box cart / store solution. Well done for getting that far if that's your first site though as I know it's taken work.

Have you only the nine products I see on the index?

Can you maybe fill out the template with alternative text based links through to those items?

Lots of white space. Advertising / content opportunity. Content first then ads...

Looking at your title tag, what's more important to you:

Someone searching for John 145 or someone searching for Yeshua T-Shirts? I'm guessing with a dollar based hat on it's the latter so it should appear that way in the tag. Product / pitch first, then branding if you feel it fit to add branding to page titles.

Do you want nice or honest? I'll try to be nice while I deliver what I perceive to be honest.

If you're using a title tag that mentions t shirts how come I think I've only seen the one of them on the site, isn't it about funky shoes?

Your title tags are a mess. The don't relate to the page as well as they could.

I clicked Yeshua T-Shirts on the homepage and it took me to a page with sneakers / trainers on it. 1) From a human perspective I saw something I wasn't expecting 2) think how stupid spiders are, that will confuse them too.

That's a usability issue.

Usability issues are the most important thing, forget search engines. Think humans. Think how they use the site, think how you can influence their clicks to perform you 'calls to action' - in other words do something that's of value to you like buy something or subscribe to a newsletter.

Your homepage link goes to http://mpossoff.mall...erShop=mpossoff which is different from yet serves identical content to http://mpossoff.malls4rentdemo.com/

Duplicate content issue.

Also, looking at those URL, what are you promoting here?

Do you own the other URL? Could you possibly be building traffic for someone else's site and authority?

Possible issue with the business model? I'm trying to protect you from possible partings of the waves between you and your store provider in the future as that wouldn't be nice to go through.

Where do you want traffic going, which URL do you want to rank?

'About the shop' shows me shoes, I should not have to scroll to find out what I want. If you tell me to expect something at the other end of a link please make it match my expectations or 1) change the link to something relevant, 2) change the page content to something that matches the link I just clicked on.

Regardless of my faith I'd not become a consumer, there's some great looking sneakers there but the site doesn't have prominently visible buy now or add to cart icons so isn't pointing the visitor in the direction of the transaction as well as it could. It also fails to look like a business. A customer support number or email address up high on the page would make it look more business like and less out of the box.

Seeing some of the products on there my commercial mind says streamline the faith angle so it's slick and makes sense then start a new brand focussing on the youth and urban marketplace who will have more hunger and desire for the product than your niche which at the moment is so cross branded "shoes" or "faith" that the engines will possibly be confused as to what is what.

Pale blue, white text. Not good for the eyes as it's hard to read.

http://mpossoff.mall...p?productID=18# - printable version didn't work for me, just popped up a blank screen.

News = shoes and no news. Again, more duplicate content.

Ok enoigh... first of all, if first cart / website well done but you need more control over the site and maybe a self hosted e-commerce solution might be more secure for you despite the outlay of maybe having to hire someone to set it up. As I see it right now all your hard work and effort is going into promoting a store you don't have total and utter control over, from a control freak point of view that scares me most.

Have you considered there might be a good reason why nobody else has tried that niche before?

#3 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

My initial thoughts are that it looks kind of 'carty' if you know what I mean, as if it looks very much like an out of the box cart / store solution. Well done for getting that far if that's your first site though as I know it's taken work.

Thanks for the encouragement. This is my first site. I'm an amateur trying to get a site together on a very tight budget. This solution was presented to me in a group that I'm involved with and the cost is free.

Have you only the nine products I see on the index?

No. So far I have 2 t-shirt designs and 15 styles of sneakers/shoes.

The 'New Product Static' doesn't show all the products.

Can you maybe fill out the template with alternative text based links through to those items?

Can you elaborate please. I'm not familiar.

Lots of white space. Advertising / content opportunity. Content first then ads..

OK I sort of get content. Can you elaborate and/or provide an example of what content is and how it's important?

Looking at your title tag, what's more important to you:

Someone searching for John 145 or someone searching for Yeshua T-Shirts? I'm guessing with a dollar based hat on it's the latter so it should appear that way in the tag. Product / pitch first, then branding if you feel it fit to add branding to page titles.

Someone searching for Yeshua T-shirts, Hebrew Jesus T-shirts, Messianic T-shirts, etc

Do you want nice or honest? I'll try to be nice while I deliver what I perceive to be honest.

What I meant was since I know that I'm trying my heart out to build a site I know since I'm a beginner and amateur that what I have so far might present itself as such.

If you're using a title tag that mentions t shirts how come I think I've only seen the one of them on the site, isn't it about funky shoes?

OK I asked this in another topic. I have 2 product lines. But my passion is the t-shirts. Although the shoes can and might be related they are not necessarily related to the intent and purpose of the t-shirt designs. And something was telling me that possibly not a good idea to incorporate the shoes.

Your title tags are a mess. The don't relate to the page as well as they could.

OK I'll fix that.

I clicked Yeshua T-Shirts on the homepage and it took me to a page with sneakers / trainers on it. 1) From a human perspective I saw something I wasn't expecting 2) think how stupid spiders are, that will confuse them too.

OK if you scroll down a bit then you would see the selection of t-shirt designs. I believe by default the 'New Product Static' appears. As you will see in that 'New Product Static' there is a t-shirt design.

As I said above it's probably not a good idea to incorporate the shoes.

That's a usability issue.

Usability issues are the most important thing, forget search engines. Think humans. Think how they use the site, think how you can influence their clicks to perform you 'calls to action' - in other words do something that's of value to you like buy something or subscribe to a newsletter.

OK I want customers to buy. I have 'add to cart' buttons. How do you incorporate and/or express a call to action to buy?

Your homepage link goes to http://mpossoff.mall...erShop=mpossoff which is different from yet serves identical content to http://mpossoff.malls4rentdemo.com/

Duplicate content issue

OK

Also, looking at those URL, what are you promoting here?

I'm promoting my site. My site is john145.com and it directs to as you said above. I don't think I can change it.

Do you own the other URL? Could you possibly be building traffic for someone else's site and authority?

I don't own malls4rentdemo.com. There are number of people so far involved with malls4rentdemo.com. I trust the guy who has created this. I'm assuming one hand washes the other?

Does it matter if my domain john145.com goes to;

http://mpossoff.malls4rentdemo.com/

http://mpossoff.mall...o.com/index.php

From a consumers point?

Possible issue with the business model? I'm trying to protect you from possible partings of the waves between you and your store provider in the future as that wouldn't be nice to go through.
OK I will look into this and I do appreciate the heads up as this never came to mind.

Where do you want traffic going, which URL do you want to rank?

john145.com

'About the shop' shows me shoes, I should not have to scroll to find out what I want. If you tell me to expect something at the other end of a link please make it match my expectations or 1) change the link to something relevant, 2) change the page content to something that matches the link I just clicked on.

Ok like I said previously it sound like incorporating the shoes might not be good idea.

Regardless of my faith I'd not become a consumer, there's some great looking sneakers there but the site doesn't have prominently visible buy now or add to cart icons so isn't pointing the visitor in the direction of the transaction as well as it could. It also fails to look like a business. A customer support number or email address up high on the page would make it look more business like and less out of the box.

OK will fix that or at least try. Have to see what I'm able to do in the backoffice.

Seeing some of the products on there my commercial mind says streamline the faith angle so it's slick and makes sense then start a new brand focussing on the youth and urban marketplace who will have more hunger and desire for the product than your niche which at the moment is so cross branded "shoes" or "faith" that the engines will possibly be confused as to what is what.

Ok can you elabaorate on it being cross branded?

If I just had t-shirt designs would that solve the problem?

Pale blue, white text. Not good for the eyes as it's hard to read.

Makes sense.

Ok enoigh... first of all, if first cart / website well done but you need more control over the site and maybe a self hosted e-commerce solution might be more secure for you despite the outlay of maybe having to hire someone to set it up. As I see it right now all your hard work and effort is going into promoting a store you don't have total and utter control over, from a control freak point of view that scares me most.

OK I don't have the budget right now. I got a quote a while back $1000 for a website that I want. Iwas looking for low cost solution to get a site done. No doubt when I grow I will invest my profits into a better website.

Have you considered there might be a good reason why nobody else has tried that niche before?

I don't know why it boggles my mind why nobody has tried to conquer own this niche.

What's your take?

I appreciate the help and response!

God Bless!

Marc

#4 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

I'd Luke to add that I appreciate your input Mooro but it felt like I was punched in the stomach. I was exciting that I finally got a website up and running and I worked hard on it. I really thought and believed that I would get a review that would suggest and recommend additions to what I'm currently doing. I honestly thought my site was pretty good although I thought I needed tweeking.

It feels like I have to start at zero again unless there is way to make what I gave to work with work.

I mean is it possible to make the website solution work? Or should I throw in the towel save my money and get a professional?

Marc

#5 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Well as I always will.... you haven't validated your site wink1.gif http://validator.w3....%...ine&group=0

I personally beleive in writing sematic, valid markup, but some will argue it doesn't help with SEO, however, it costs nothing do it right the first time, and most who don't agree usually have a tag soup site that's years old and full of 1'000's of duff pages, making it not cost effective or sometimes not even possible to get validated.

The first thing I noticed was I went to john145.com yet my browser showed a site url that on first glance looked like it was telling me to 'piss off', not a good 1st impression!

Plus if I go to a site and then it takes me else where and then expects me to supply my credit card details for purchases, no way hose, not on your nelly!

Also every link I click on it just seems to show me the same products as the main content, it took a second or two to realise that the actual page content was below this unwanted product list, and many pages didn't even have any content to speak of.

The layout is fine and so is the navigation, plus your colour scheme unoffensive, though I'd look at making your logo better, it seems as though it's not been designed for a coloured background and makes it look poor quality.

I hope I have 'been nice', no one here on HRF will even intend to offend, or make you feel like giving up, but if you are going to throw the towel in so easily, then you might want to re-think, Rome wasn't built in a day and SEO along with making a successful dot com business doesn't happen overnight and requires alot of time, dedication and effort, but if you percevere, make the effort and take on board the great advice you will get here on HRF, then success could be just around the corner!

#6 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi what I meant throwing the towel is in regards to my current project, throw in the towel with this specific website model/solution and start over with another solution.

I was hoping that I could make my current work.

The first thing I noticed was I went to john145.com yet my browser showed a site url that on first glance looked like it was telling me to 'piss off', not a good 1st impression!

can you elaborate? Are you referring to redirected URL.

Marc

#7 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

can you elaborate? Are you referring to redirected URL.
- yes.
CODE
http://mpossoff.malls4rentdemo.com/

#8 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Also every link I click on it just seems to show me the same products as the main content, it took a second or two to realise that the actual page content was below this unwanted product list, and many pages didn't even have any content to speak of.

OK so get rid of the product list. Yeah I see what you are saying. When you click on a t-shirt the product list shows up top and the actual product that is clicked on gets lost.

Rome wasn't built in a day and SEO along with making a successful dot com business doesn't happen overnight and requires alot of time, dedication and effort, but if you percevere, make the effort and take on board the great advice you will get here on HRF, then success could be just around the corner!

I guess my concern right now is can I make this type of 'cart' solution website work that's if I'm able to take the suggestions of Mooro and others in regards to the url redirection issue, etc?

There is another solution available that possibly might give me more control that I will look into.

Marc

#9 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:29 AM

If you are using a 3rd party cart system, them must be able to offer it so your own domain name stays in the address bar, You also need to know that if they are 301 redirecting then it doesn't matter how much link building and advertisiing you do, you won't get any juice from it for the SE's.

As as far as the SE's are concerned john145.com doesn't exist, so you need to be sure they redirect with the correct header code (302).

I've just checked and this is your header status
CODE
##1 Server Response: http://john145.com
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:22:45 GMT
Server: Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
Content-Length: 393
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Redirect Target: http://mpossoff.malls4rentdemo.com/index.php
Therefore your domain doesn't exist, the site that will get indexed and get all the SEO juice will be mpossoff.malls4rentdemo.com

Is there a reason why this company is not able to add your domain as an alias / virtual host and let you set up the correct DNS records to point to their server for the hosting?

#10 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the direction, I just sent an email to see what I need to do to have my domain direct to my domain with the correct header 301. I'll let you know when I get an answer.
Marc

#11 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

no you have a 301, and that's not what you want!

You want to be able to point your A NAME DNS record to their IP and have them set the server up to accept requests for your domain, that is the ideal way of having it.

#12 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

Ok just sent another email, will let you know.

Marc

#13 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Ok this is response I got;

You are on a 301 permanent redirect a 302 is temporary and is often viewed as a hijacked url, a 301 is a IIS redirect and that is about as good as I can do as I cannot do a php redirect as you have no php to redirect or a .htaccess redirect as you have no .htaccess to redirect either its just a domain name... sorry

Marc

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

Wow. That's total gobbledygook!

#15 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(MarcP @ Jun 7 2010, 03:56 PM) View Post
I'd Luke to add that I appreciate your input Mooro but it felt like I was punched in the stomach. I was exciting that I finally got a website up and running and I worked hard on it. I really thought and believed that I would get a review that would suggest and recommend additions to what I'm currently doing. I honestly thought my site was pretty good although I thought I needed tweeking.

It feels like I have to start at zero again unless there is way to make what I gave to work with work.

I mean is it possible to make the website solution work? Or should I throw in the towel save my money and get a professional?

Marc

I never meant anything as a kick, throwing in the towel is far from being an option when you've taken it this far.

There are, as pointed out, ways to point your domain to the store and manage the addresses better, products can be managed better and all the issues can be addressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!