• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Please Review My Site Redesign

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,918 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

When I say next level, I mean taking it over a million visitors a month.

If you figure it out, please let us know!

#17 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(KemoSabe @ Jul 7 2010, 01:13 PM) View Post
A VERY good problem to have!

Yup, almost as good as having too much money!

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 7 2010, 01:36 PM) View Post
If you figure it out, please let us know!

Damn, here was me wishing someone who knew would share the answers!

I'm on 20% of that target but what a target to have, might as well reach for the stars and not just stare at the sky!

I now the answer. Work, time, work, time, work, time. There isn't any other kind of SEO is there?

Still, I know with the amount of content I have onboard there are going to be deep indexing issues.

When I run a "site:web2txt.co.uk inurl:web2txt.co.uk" I get 3,180,000 results, actually, since writing this I've just seen it jump to 3,250,000. site:web2txt.co.uk returns 336,000, either way it's a drop in the ocean of the real depth of the site.

Google bot crawled about 180,000 pages yesterday so is trying!!

I don't want to spend hours making a site map, but I'm aware of what Confucious said: "the thing you wan't to do least is the thing you need to do most"

Ouch...... I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one made. Issues: 3.5 million songs, 400,000 albums / singles, 1.3 million lyrics and 50,000 ringtones = GIGS and GIGS of sitemap data that will be a huge strain on resources to make each week. I dread to think how much data a month could be pulled from the server just by the sitemaps.....

When I think of the content we have verses the number of uniques a month we get I feel down and that the site is under performing..... Or I'm impatient, possibly both.

#18 KemoSabe

KemoSabe

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

So, so true! Confucius was one wise Mofo...

QUOTE(Mooro @ Jul 7 2010, 10:07 AM) View Post
I don't want to spend hours making a site map, but I'm aware of what Confucious said: "the thing you wan't to do least is the thing you need to do most"

Sound like the perfect "OutSourcing task" Check CraigsList/Malasia and do not go thru a service... find an individual with US references... just my suggestion Andy.

QUOTE(Mooro @ Jul 7 2010, 10:07 AM) View Post
Ouch...... I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one made. Issues: 3.5 million songs, 400,000 albums / singles, 1.3 million lyrics and 50,000 ringtones = GIGS and GIGS of sitemap data that will be a huge strain on resources to make each week. I dread to think how much data a month could be pulled from the server just by the sitemaps.....

#19 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(KemoSabe @ Jul 7 2010, 03:59 PM) View Post
So, so true! Confucius was one wise Mofo...
Sound like the perfect "OutSourcing task" Check CraigsList/Malasia and do not go thru a service... find an individual with US references... just my suggestion Andy.

Thanks but I'd never outsource development, partly as I can do it myself and partly as I don't trust anyone else with access to my system.

Only myself and Rackspace gets access to the internals.

I agree about not going through a service, I found those sites to be a total waste of time years ago. Too many idiots who can't read basic instructions let alone highly complicated and detailed technical specifications that would take as much time to document for the hired developer as it would to develop fully myself.

I'll write it. I know I'll get the exact spec I want that way; no security risks, no BS, no misunderstandings, no having to repeat myself, no stress of having to manage a coder, no risk and a guarantee of work to the standard I want.

For me with my skillset and coder trust issues developing everything (as I have already) is the only way to go.

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,918 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Ouch...... I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one made.

I'd be surprised if it helped.

But one thing that you can do is create multiple sitemaps for different sections of your site and submit those. Not to get things indexed quicker, but to have a better idea of where the crawl is having problems.

(Hat tip to Vanessa Fox for that tip as she talked about this at an SMX Conference...was one of the few things I learned...I don't go to many sessions, so not their fault!)

#21 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

I too would be surpised but as you point out it would help me identify weak spots with indexing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!