• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Massive Page Title Change After Redesign

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eastie

eastie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:44 AM

Hello everyone

First time poster. Though I've been reading forum posts for hours!(I've got insomnia)yawn.gif. Tons of great info here.

Anyway, not sure how to deal with this issue and hoping someone can offer suggestions. Had my ecommerce site redesigned and it went live about a month ago. The original site had custom title pages and meta descriptions. Just became aware of the fact that all the the original page titles and meta info got rewritten by a software program that was put in place by the web designer.

My traffic has dropped about 75% and remained that way since the site went live. Can any of this be attributed to the page title changes? And if so, is it worth changing them all back to the original state, or will that make matters worse since the new pages are already being spidered?

The URL's are all new as well, but they've all been 301 redirected.

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Can any of this be attributed to the page title changes? And if so, is it worth changing them all back to the original state

Yes, most likely it is. If you also made structural changes to the site it would be attributed to that as well. And if you changed URLs, that would be a factor.

But yes, it's most definitely worth changing your titles again if the previous ones were more descriptive of what's on the pages.

#3 eastie

eastie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 3 2010, 09:39 AM) View Post
Yes, most likely it is. If you also made structural changes to the site it would be attributed to that as well. And if you changed URLs, that would be a factor.

But yes, it's most definitely worth changing your titles again if the previous ones were more descriptive of what's on the pages.

Thanks for that info. Really appreciate it. Do you think it will take Google even longer to reindex the site if I go and change the page titles back again?

Teri

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

No.

#5 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

The original site had custom title pages and meta descriptions. Just became aware of the fact that all the the original page titles and meta info got rewritten by a software program that was put in place by the web designer.

Been hearing this much more often lately.

Anyone switching over to a new CMS, going from static to dynamic pages or a new designer should keep this in mind and discuss the ramifications with their designers before the project is started. Even the designer you have worked with for years who has a "new way to quickly update/create pages" could put you into the same situation.

A designer who does not understand the value of your page titles (or SEO) can cost more than you save.

#6 eastie

eastie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

The problem is for someone experiencing their very first redesign, there are many things you would not even think of to ask before hand because you're just not aware. So you depend on the professional you hire to clue you in . But obviously it doesn't always work out that way! At least I'll know better next time:)

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

Yep. I've been doing my best to get the word out about hiring an SEO consultant DURING the redesign phase in numerous articles I've written, but unfortunately most don't go looking for that info so they never see them until it's too late!

#8 eastie

eastie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 4 2010, 04:38 PM) View Post
Yep. I've been doing my best to get the word out about hiring an SEO consultant DURING the redesign phase in numerous articles I've written, but unfortunately most don't go looking for that info so they never see them until it's too late!

Jill, if you only knew how much I wish I saw your article before all this happened!

#9 eastie

eastie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Hi
Got confirmation from others, after posting in another thread, that my huge drop in traffic after my site redesign, was probably the result of a software program that rewrote all my page titles.

Ok, now that the damage is done and it's been a little over a month with no signs of traffic increasing at all, I'm wondering if there are some other ways to quickly increase traffic/customers while I'm waiting (Lord knows how long) for this problem to work itself out with the search engines? I have already had my web designer change back to the old titles.

I'm afraid to just sit here waiting. The month before the new site went live I had 35000 visits via SE's and 26000 from referring sites. That is pretty much my average. Site visits for the last month are now 18000 referring and 5100 from SE's. Pretty scary! What if it takes several months for my products to rank high enough to be found again? I don't think I can take a financial hit like that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

It's likely that it was more than just page Titles that were changed. Have you also looked at the structure of the site? Are pages linking to each other the same way they were before?

I would highly suggest that you have a professional review your site to see what's up rather than just wait. There's no need whatsoever for traffic to be lost after a redesign, and it can be recovered as well if you fix what was previously broken.

(Moving this all back into the original thread as it's merely an extension of it, imo.)

#11 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

Have you taken a look at your stats to see if you are running into any other issues on particular pages. Taking a look at the web analytics could help point you in the direction of some other places to work on.

Have sales or whatever results you are looking for other than simply visitors to the site gone down as well?

35000 visits via SE's and 26000 from referring sites that only spend a couple seconds on your pages because they really weren't what they were looking for aren't as valuable as 18000 referring and 5100 from SE's if they are actual visitors spending more time on your pages looking around.

What's the difference in actual unique visitors (rather than visits, which can include bots) and their actions on the site once they arrive?

searchme.gif Something to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.