• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Can I Automate This Task?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

Hi,

I need to add a lot of pages to my website to target specific keyword phrases. My customers seem so targeted to specific keyword phrases, and although we actually have one product, it is available in about 25 flavors. I keep trying to write content that is too broad I think because it seems that this is not working out and I must use the exact phrase.

My thought is to create one page on for example on " X flavor Widgets" , then use that same content but just change the X to each flavor.,

The reason the content should be the same except change the Flavor is because that's all that really needs to change, the information on that page should be the same. I will actually go back and add some additional paragraphs like "special handling of chocolate widgets when wearing white" so it will be a little more uniqe but the overall text should be close in each flavor.

Example 1st Set:
Well written content page on..
Vanilla Widgets
Chocolate Widgets
Strawberry Widgets

Note: There are 25 flavors in all.

Then I will be creating additional pages that are related.

2nd Set
A completely different content page on..
How to install Widgets in Vanilla.
How to Install Widgets in Chocolate.
How to install Widgets in Strawberry.

3rd Set
Another completely different content page on..
Vanilla Dictionary Widgets
Chocolate Dictionary Widgets
Strawbery Dictionary Widgets.

With 25 flavors you can see this can contain a lot of pages that have a lot of the same copy for each set but the keywords will be different.

I am going to use PHP includes for parts of the page, but since there are so many pages, I was thinking there might be some type of script that helps speed this up and keep it more organized. I was hoping there was something that would change the title tag, meta tag, description as well.

How can I automate the process? Or speed it up, doing it manually seems like a dauting task.

Thanks in advance.

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

It is my suggestion that you include the original, unique content on the page with the duplicate widget copy. The reason is because Google is all about relevancy and uniqueness. If you only change the keyphrase from one product description to the next, you're likely not going to show enough uniqueness for all the pages to get ranked. What will likely happen is that ONE of the pages will get ranked and the others will be filtered out because they are practically duplicates of the original.

If, however, you add the unique content (how to install, dictionary, etc.) to the product pages, you'll have 25 individual pages that offer something original. You'd be much more likely to get more of your product pages ranked well this way.

#3 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 3 2010, 07:56 AM) View Post
It is my suggestion that you include the original, unique content on the page with the duplicate widget copy. The reason is because Google is all about relevancy and uniqueness. If you only change the keyphrase from one product description to the next, you're likely not going to show enough uniqueness for all the pages to get ranked. What will likely happen is that ONE of the pages will get ranked and the others will be filtered out because they are practically duplicates of the original.

If, however, you add the unique content (how to install, dictionary, etc.) to the product pages, you'll have 25 individual pages that offer something original. You'd be much more likely to get more of your product pages ranked well this way.

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to make them as unique as possible but since it is a guide for example on the steps of installing a Vanilla Widget, the steps should be the same.

I attempted to do a page that had the steps and then put all 25 flavors on the same page but Google did not seem to notice as much due to competition. When I match the key phrase exactly in title , description, and on the page they did. I was also trying to target the traffic more, instead of a customer coming to a page about "Installing Widgets", I wanted them to feel they have the right page by putting "How to install Vanilla widgets". I really don't care if Google filters out 'how to install Chocolate widgets", but from your comments I think you are saying my other pages might not even get indexed due to the duplicate info?

So how do you write the same text 25 times and still sound intelligent for customers.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

They would work fine as Adwords landing pages, but I wouldn't recommend it for organic SEO purposes although it will probably work for that as well, at least for a time.

#5 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

I think you are saying my other pages might not even get indexed due to the duplicate info?

Correct.

So how do you write the same text 25 times and still sound intelligent for customers.

You don't have to. You do have to find something unique to include with the duplicate content. I hate discussing widgets because it makes it very hard to give practical examples. (I do understand keeping what you're doing under wraps, however.) Without knowing what we're actually dealing with, it will be hard to come up with specific ideas. Here are a few off the top of my head. You might talk about:

* different processes for manufacturing the widgets
* different ingredients... if one if vanilla, one chocolate, one strawberry, etc.... add info about the origin of the vanilla, chocolate, strawberries or how they are used (filling inside the widget, glaze drizzled on top of the widget, etc.)
* customer reviews or testimonials
* how to eat the widgets... just plain out of the box or can you use them in dessert recipes, top them with ice cream, etc.
* how to use the widgets... desserts for special occasions, personal gifts, corporate gifts, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.

You get the idea.

#6 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Ok, this helps. I agree the widgets thing can make it more difficult.

The flavors would actually be languages in my case. French, German, ... How to type French accents on your keyboard with xbrand software.

So I have to be more unique than I planned.

One more question.

In the old days I constantly had customers compliment us on providing easy to understand truly helpful information when other sites just had marketing hype. Over the past 2 years though I am getting customers that seem overwhelmed by the info so I have gone too much in the other direction and need to simplify it. I am going with pages that have about 200 words instead of long 400 word pages and trying to make it easier to read combined with splashy graphics to make things read easier. The strategy is to have double the amount of 200 word pages, than I would the other way and this would give me more exposure with targeted phrases on the engines.

Good strategy ?

#7 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

It depends. smile.gif (Doesn't it always depend on something?) If your visitors are getting bogged down in the information then, yes, splitting the pages up would be a good strategy. That will mean you'll have to research new keyphrases for the additional pages. You won't want them all using the same keyphrases or they'll be competing against one another instead of giving you new opportunities to have the additional pages ranked.

#8 Force7

Force7

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 3 2010, 11:32 AM) View Post
It depends. smile.gif (Doesn't it always depend on something?) If your visitors are getting bogged down in the information then, yes, splitting the pages up would be a good strategy. That will mean you'll have to research new keyphrases for the additional pages. You won't want them all using the same keyphrases or they'll be competing against one another instead of giving you new opportunities to have the additional pages ranked.

That makes sense.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!