• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Get Out Of Googles Bad Side? Need Help Plz

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hey everyone,

I have a site which was taken down for the possibility of ranking for all possible keywords in google over 4 times. I have another site which I'm targeting 20+ long tail keywords on different web pages and this site was just taken down as well from Google for all of my keywords! Both sites are stuck in a rut right now.

I'm wondering, is it too late to recover these sites? Does google have a blacklist of domains which they wont trust any more? Should I use a new domain? I've been working on these sites for years and I've spent a TON of time and money towards them. I may have made some errors and mistakes but I'm very confused as to what I should do next. I don't want to waste so much more time and money on these if Google is never going to rank them or if they're going to screw around with me by taking it down, putting it back up (which they're doing with the one site).

Both sites come up in google, only if I type the URL in the search. I never did any blackhat seo or bought any links. Many links are natural, many are also forum and blog comments.

Another thing is...I tried ranking both sites for the same keyword to try and take over #1 and #2. IMO, this is a great strategy to obtain the most amount of traffic..but does google not like this? I'm sure it's very easy for them to figure out that I own both of them...if I choose this route should I put one of them on a different host, server, different whois info, etc? Can this be part of the reason I'm being penalized?

What do you guys suggest I do?

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,162 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

First, what did you do that would make Google penalize you so badly?

It's rare for them to do that unless you've purposely been being deceptive with them. If that's the case, then you're probably better off starting from scratch.

#3 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hi Jill,

The worst thing I can think of is blog commenting and forum posts to obtain links. That's the worst thing I did, nothing more. I can pm you my urls if you want? Up to you..would be of great help.

Thanks

Edited by ddzc, 28 May 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(ddzc @ May 28 2010, 09:22 AM) View Post
Hi Jill,

The worst thing I can think of is blog commenting and forum posts to obtain links. That's the worst thing I did, nothing more. I can pm you my urls if you want? Up to you..would be of great help.
Thanks

Google announced a few months ago they would be aggressively penalizing sites that use link drops in blog comments and forums -- and maybe also the sites that allow those link drops.

If you can remove the links, do so. Then file a reinclusion request.

At the very least, don't ever use this risky practice again. You may have to start over with a new site. I would strongly urge you to read the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] content here on Highrankings. Jill won't advocate a suspicious practice.

#5 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 28 2010, 02:21 PM) View Post
Google announced a few months ago they would be aggressively penalizing sites that use link drops in blog comments and forums -- and maybe also the sites that allow those link drops.

If you can remove the links, do so. Then file a reinclusion request.

At the very least, don't ever use this risky practice again. You may have to start over with a new site. I would strongly urge you to read the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] content here on Highrankings. Jill won't advocate a suspicious practice.

Thanks for the response.

The thing is, I took these blog/forum link sources from top competitors, and they haven't dropped in the rankings. Also, if this were the case, then I'm just going to spam the hell out of hundreds of forums and blogs with my competitors URLs to bring them down. This was the kind of mentality I had when I was doing this type of link building...kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

#6 MaryKrysia

MaryKrysia

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

What do you guys suggest I do?

First , clean up your thinking and ways of doing business.

Second, check each web site you are giving outbound links to. Even if one of these has become labeled as spammy or worse by Google, your site will be penalized.

Lastly, create web sites with great content and use wisdom and hard work when building links.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(ddzc @ May 28 2010, 11:27 AM) View Post
Thanks for the response.

The thing is, I took these blog/forum link sources from top competitors, and they haven't dropped in the rankings. Also, if this were the case, then I'm just going to spam the hell out of hundreds of forums and blogs with my competitors URLs to bring them down. This was the kind of mentality I had when I was doing this type of link building...kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

Nope. Your backlink profile doesn't necessarily match theirs. Rather than dwelling on what your competitors can and cannot get away with, I suggest you just focus on building a positive SEO campaign for yourself.

Comparing yourself to other people's successes (as you perceive them) puts you into a very negative fantasy state. It's almost guaranteed those people are agonizing over what their failures in SEO life are (unless they are very experienced in this business and have learned to overcome the self-limiting temptation to look at competitors).

You can only directly influence your own success or failure. So why obsess over what you think other people are doing? Your only metrics should be how much traffic you get, how much converting traffic you get, and how much money you make. You can judge your own success or failure by how much those numbers go up or down.

#8 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(MaryKrysia @ May 28 2010, 05:44 PM) View Post
First , clean up your thinking and ways of doing business.

Second, check each web site you are giving outbound links to. Even if one of these has become labeled as spammy or worse by Google, your site will be penalized.

Lastly, create web sites with great content and use wisdom and hard work when building links.

I actually don't have any outbound links to anyone..all inbound.

I agree...I've been focusing on quality work and a strong backlink profile for the past little while.

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 28 2010, 06:07 PM) View Post
Nope. Your backlink profile doesn't necessarily match theirs. Rather than dwelling on what your competitors can and cannot get away with, I suggest you just focus on building a positive SEO campaign for yourself.

Comparing yourself to other people's successes (as you perceive them) puts you into a very negative fantasy state. It's almost guaranteed those people are agonizing over what their failures in SEO life are (unless they are very experienced in this business and have learned to overcome the self-limiting temptation to look at competitors).

You can only directly influence your own success or failure. So why obsess over what you think other people are doing? Your only metrics should be how much traffic you get, how much converting traffic you get, and how much money you make. You can judge your own success or failure by how much those numbers go up or down.

Very true...I was looking at this with a different view (if they're not penalized with these links, nor should I).

I know what I did wrong and what I need to do to become successful. I'm just unsure at this point whether I should get a new domain and start from fresh. I paid some decent coin for one of my aged domains and it's a great name...should I bother wasting time with it anymore if Google is never going to trust it again? Is my actual name in whois blacklisted to? Not sure how they do this...I wish I got a message or something in google webmaster tools..would be helpful when google does these sorts of things!

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,162 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

I have a different opinion.

I doubt the low-quality links would cause a penalty. At worst, they just won't count anymore (if they ever did).

#10 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 29 2010, 10:35 AM) View Post
I have a different opinion.

I doubt the low-quality links would cause a penalty. At worst, they just won't count anymore (if they ever did).

Hey Jill,

For one of the sites I was ranked #1-3 in Google for 10 different keyword phrases. I manually checked the first 20 pages and it's no where for any of the keywords. I used a program to check 50 pages in google for several keyphrases where I was ranking #1-3 and my site is no where to be found, vanished. Same situation for my other site..was ranked in the first 2 pages for several keywords...completely gone now. Only come in Google if I type my url and if I type my domain name it ranks #8.

Kind of sounds like a penalty, no?

#11 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

No, that doesn't really sound like a penalty. It just sounds like your site isn't the best result for those keyword phrases.

True penalties are for things like cloaking, forcing links by running linkbots on web properties that aren't maintained very well and otherwise trying to trick the engines into falsely ranking your site.

If your site doesn't have any real links (where the site owner actually placed your link on their site) then it's very hard to rank well over the long term. Sounds like you were lucky for a while... and then it caught up with you.

You don't need to abandon your sites; you need to improve them.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,162 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Kind of sounds like a penalty, no?

Impossible to say without a full review of your site and situation. I'd suggest hiring a consultant to review everything for you.

#13 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks again,

You know what, I just checked my backlink profile for the one sites and I didn't realize how bad it was. 90% of the links with PR are from blogs and forums. The other 10% are natural. I got a PR4 for my efforts but it's pretty much useless at this point.

I have accepted the fact that I screwed up and didn't perform SEO as a professional.

At this point though, I'm really unsure whether I should ditch the domain and start from scratch. I paid decent money for it and it's aged from 2002 and the domain name is simple with one of my main keywords in it.

What do you all think? Will Google ever trust it again? I have another decent domain but it's from 2008...I would rather use the aged domain

#14 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,737 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(ddzc @ May 29 2010, 09:47 AM) View Post
I actually don't have any outbound links to anyone..all inbound.

That may be part of the problem, as well. It's not natural for a website to link to absolutely nothing but itself.

It's called the World Wide Web for a reason. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#15 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(torka @ May 31 2010, 12:56 PM) View Post
That may be part of the problem, as well. It's not natural for a website to link to absolutely nothing but itself.

It's called the World Wide Web for a reason. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

oops sorry, I have 2 outbound links to digg and facebook on my homepage. All of the best sites (competitors) only have 2-3 outbound links max on their homepages...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!