• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

High Rankings For Good Keywords

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I'm curious why I have a top ranking for a few keyphrases that are reasonably searched for , yet it brings little visitors.

So I did a little KWD research witht he G-Adwords trafic estimator tool. (Ok, we know it isn't accurate, but still...)

For my main keyphrase it shows...
Searches Per Month : 5,400
Avg CPC : 0.29
Ad Position : 1.66
Clicks : 3
Total Cost : 1.31

Now I get a couple of clicks per day without paying for adwords, so does this show that I'm geting ok visits for that keyphrase without paying and also that out of 5,000+ searches, you should only expect a few visitors?

Bit confused over how the search volumes seem to have no bearing on actual traffic, even if you paid for it, as 90 visits out of 5,400 is only 1.66%

Seems a bit poor, is that normal?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Is that exact match or broad? If it's broad, that would explain the discrepancies.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

You just used the AdWords tool to get traffic estimates, but you're talking about organic traffic, right?

If you've got a good ranking on a search that's performed pretty often but you've got a low CTR, I'd say you should look at how your page appears on the SERP: what's the title, is it long enough to get cut off, and if so, where does it get cut off? What's the snippet that's used?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,109 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:44 AM

The Adwords tool also includes the "clicks" from EVERY Adsense publisher that show ads for those words/phrases NOT just the ads that appear on the SERPS.

AND the search counts are across EVERY datacentre not just the one your results are coming from.

So: with only 3 clicks coming from the entire Adsense network, I would suggest that your couple of "organic" clickthroughs is remarkably good!

You just need a sense of perspective biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

In the numbers that Google deal with a day 5,400 a month is minuscule

#5 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

So: with only 3 clicks coming from the entire Adsense network, I would suggest that your couple of "organic" clickthroughs is remarkably good!

You just need a sense of perspective

So the keyphrase in the grand scheme of things is a pretty poor one, even though it's targeted to what I do.

Also the fact I get nearly as many organic hits as I would for paying over a broader range of data, I should pat myself on the back, not pull my hair out with frustration.

Is that what your saying?

If you've got a good ranking on a search that's performed pretty often but you've got a low CTR, I'd say you should look at how your page appears on the SERP: what's the title, is it long enough to get cut off, and if so, where does it get cut off? What's the snippet that's used?

Well is 5400 a month based on a broad range of data centers, a search that's performed pretty often? Chris seems to be implying it's not!

I just thought if i'm doing so well for the keyphrase (ok I know it's when I search for myself or ask others - not a good measure!!), 90 hits per month out of a possible 5,400 seems poor, who's getting the other 5,310 visitors?

And yes some title tags get truncated, but not to any detriment really and the snippet is usually my description tag and very targeted.

Is that exact match or broad? If it's broad, that would explain the discrepancies.
Err what ever the tool defaults to, I didn't check that to be honset Jill, I'll go check......Dunno, I can't find it as an option, all there is under advanced options is location and languages, can you tell me what match the Traffic Estimator Tool uses?

Edited by 1dmf, 18 May 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

Well is 5400 a month based on a broad range of data centers, a search that's performed pretty often? Chris seems to be implying it's not!

Chris is saying it's not a lot from Google's perspective. That doesn't have to matter for you. I had a client years ago who worked in a very specific niche, and charged a lot. If they got a handful of new clients a year, they were set.

What about the Search Queries report in WMT? It'll give you impressions, clicks, average position and CTR, and if you're consistently ranking in the top 10 (and if you are, it will say so), the number of impressions in the past month should be about equal to the number of searches.

#7 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

well for my main kwd it shows...
Imp : <10
Clicks : <10
CTR : -
Pos : 47

For my top query it shows...
Imp : 16
Clicks : <10
CTR : -
Pos : 8.6

Looks like my WMT is showing worse than the Esitmator tool reckons, infact I seem to be getting less hits than I thought...

My best KWD is not the keyphrase I thought it should be, i'm getting more hits for a less searched phrase (according to the estimator tool).

Infact my main keyphrase isn't in any hyperlink anchors or being specifically targeted, yet the keyphrase I target and have all my anchors, links, titles and copytext targeting, performs worse....

Hmm, everytime i try to optimise for a keyphrase it does worse and ones I don't deliberately target seem to improve, i guess I'm crap at this game, or G! is penalising me for summing, dunno?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

I just thought if i'm doing so well for the keyphrase (ok I know it's when I search for myself or ask others - not a good measure!!), 90 hits per month out of a possible 5,400 seems poor, who's getting the other 5,310 visitors?

Perhaps the other 5000 are you and your friends doing rankings checks?

Err what ever the tool defaults to, I didn't check that to be honset Jill, I'll go check......Dunno, I can't find it as an option, all there is under advanced options is location and languages, can you tell me what match the Traffic Estimator Tool uses?

Well there you go then. It defaults to broad, which means your seeing numbers for phrases other than your phrase.

Case closed, imo.

#9 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Perhaps the other 5000 are you and your friends doing rankings checks?
lol.gif I wish I had that many friends! cry_smile.gif

I think you're right, which is why I got confused with the numbers, either way I still feel I should be getting more visitors... but then again, don't we all. wink1.gif

#10 SEOPeace

SEOPeace

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Do note that your site, depending of position, will only get portion of the visits. Even first position gets only half of the visits which google keyword estimates and it is worth to mention that Google keyword is not perfect...There can be errors in estimated visitors...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!