• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Being A Brand Important For Seo?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

I often read that being a brand is extremely important for SEO in google's algorithm nowadays / of increasing importance. More particularly I've read this about half a dozen times on Aaron Wall's blog, and can't help but think that he might have a point.

So being a brand is extremely important in google's algorithm/increasingly of importance. Do you guys agree with that?

How can a small webmaster leverage this knowledge? Randy(/you) suggested in another thread, that in order to attract links that actually send traffic (and all other kinds of traffic, I believe)...one should carve out a niche that is narrow enough for a webmaster to become the authority in it (yet big enough so there is monetization/traffic potential). I can see that this should help with attracting links that send traffic (and probably other kinds of traffic).

And now, I'm wondering....is doing this becoming increasingly important in Google's algorithm?

How important is it really to be considered a "brand" in Google's algorithm? And, how can a small webmaster become a brand? Are my guesses above on point, or am I misunderstanding something?

thanks!

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(PatrickGer @ May 14 2010, 02:39 PM) View Post
I often read that being a brand is extremely important for SEO in google's algorithm nowadays / of increasing importance. More particularly I've read this about half a dozen times on Aaron Wall's blog, and can't help but think that he might have a point.

There is a lot of hyperbole, unrepentant opinion, and alarmism-induced hysterical analysis embedded in that point of view.

Still, there is something to be said for having brand value over and above anything a search engine might care about.

So being a brand is extremely important in google's algorithm/increasingly of importance. Do you guys agree with that?

I do not agree. Not in the context of today's search technology.

How can a small webmaster leverage this knowledge? Randy(/you) suggested in another thread, that in order to attract links that actually send traffic (and all other kinds of traffic, I believe)...one should carve out a niche that is narrow enough for a webmaster to become the authority in it (yet big enough so there is monetization/traffic potential). I can see that this should help with attracting links that send traffic (and probably other kinds of traffic).

I'm not Randy, nor do I play him on TV, but anyone can have brand value. However, your local shoe manufacturer -- while making a great shoe product -- probably won't have as much brand value as Nike.

#3 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have no idea how having a brand would relate to SEO, other than that's a word you want to rank well for?

A brand is in the mind of the consumer. Nike=sports shoes. CNN=news. Coke=bubbly drink. WalMart=everything else. Amazon= everything else you can buy online.

We-sell-furry-slippers.com is not much of a brand.

If your website isn't a real business though, if it's MFA or drop ship or some other web-only entity that really doesn't market or promote anything other than trying to get rankings and clicks maybe sell stuff for other companies, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to build it into a brand.

In which case, we-sell-furry-slippers.com at least lets people know what you do...

#4 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

Very interesting to see that you folks don't agree with A.W. on this. Maybe, I wasn't thinking critically enough about what he said. Will have to look at it again later, keeping this in mind!

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

I believe Aaron has been talking about the new brand algos that Google has been testing lately.

There are many general search queries that are now showing links to big brand websites prominently in the SERP in a way that could definitely shut the little guy out.

This is a real threat to small guys, especially affiliates.

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, Jill.

So in case this is right, what's a small webmaster to do (who, say is just starting a website)?

Finding a niche that is small enough so he can become the authority in it rather than competing in a broader market?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

So in case this is right, what's a small webmaster to do (who, say is just starting a website)?

Not optimize for general keywords such as "underwear."

#8 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 15 2010, 08:57 PM) View Post
Not optimize for general keywords such as "underwear."

Well, I guess that would have been a horrible keyword to optimize for before, anyway (for a small website without plenty of resources)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!