• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Title Tags And H1 Tags

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CompareNetworks

CompareNetworks

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi All,
I'm getting conflicting feedback about keeping the Title tag different from the H1 tag. Some say it's not a good idea to have them be the same, and others disagree and say having them the same is fine. I've also heard that if they need to be similar or the same, then make sure the H2 tag follows the H1 tag with unique content.

Would love to hear your feedback and if you have any examples to share, or successes or un-successes. Would like to see some articles around this topic.
Thanks!
Pam

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

It doesn't matter. Both the title and the H1 provide emphasis for some expression or expressions. Agreement between them is considered to be user-friendly and sort of adds up a few extra small points in the overall relevance score.

But you should not think about tying a document to a specific keyword. This one message I am writing to you now is relevant to dozens, possibly hundreds of expressions.

#3 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Well, I know by default in Drupal the page title and the page heading are identical. Haven't had any trouble because of that.

I also know I have sites where there is no page heading. They rank fine as well.

Other sites have a different title and page heading... again... they do well.

Do what feels right to you... in the end it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

I'm getting conflicting feedback about keeping the Title tag different from the H1 tag. Some say it's not a good idea to have them be the same, and others disagree and say having them the same is fine.

That's because they're both correct.

I would recommend not having them be the same if you can control it. However, if that's not possible, it's no big deal if they are the same.

You may also wish to note that H tags of any number are not actually an SEO thing. While it's good to have headings on your page, it doesn't matter whether they're wrapped in H tags for SEO purposes at least.

#5 michaelj72

michaelj72

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

i've never used the H1 or any of those H tags and have done just fine in the rankings - but do use like bolded Titles/headings in text of the page when necessary to differentiate or emphasize various parts of the text. the Title tag as we know is one of the most important on page seo factors, so i would emphasize using that well

#6 CompareNetworks

CompareNetworks

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback on page TITLES and H tags. Regardless, strong page TITLES are a must!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!