• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Not Getting Listed With Google

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 aSplash

aSplash

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi Everyone

I have been submitting site to Google for about 8 years now and they always seem to get listed within a week. I know they say it can take a couple of weeks but i submitted this site around 3 weeks ago. I have submmited sites since i submitted this one and they have been listed. I have uploadeda site map through webmaster tools and I hve no crawl errors. Its has been spidered by Yahoo and is ranking well. Am i missing somthing.

Any info much appreciated

removed see [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url]

Edited by chrishirst, 14 May 2010 - 08:10 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

Maybe you should start doing something useful such as getting backlinks.

Sounds like a read at the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] might be beneficial

#3 aSplash

aSplash

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ May 14 2010, 08:12 AM) View Post
Maybe you should start doing something useful such as getting backlinks.

Sounds like a read at the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] might be beneficial

Hi thanks for the tip but i have over 150 backlinks. I use yahoo to check back links as its more up to date that Google. But does that mean Google still classes my site as having no backlinks ?

Cheers
Jos

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

It probably means that the links you have simply have zero value and link counting is about as pointless as toolbar PR watching.

http://www.highranki...showtopic=28392

http://www.highranki...showtopic=17793

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Yahoo! tells you absolutely nothing of value with respect to which links Google knows about, cares about, or allows to pass value in its index.

#6 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

150 garbage links might actually hurt your chances. Not saying that's what you have, but I have some really old sites I work with that don't have 150 links to them... but the links they do have are from real sites. Not blogs, forums or free directories.

Think about it this way- if the only friends you have are the sites who are friends with anyone, it really isn't much of a vote...

#7 aSplash

aSplash

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

Hi Thanks for the advice, but I just checked and the first 3 links pointing to our site that show up in Yahoo site explorer are PR5, PR6 & PR5. So i dont think it is the quality of the link that is causing the issue.
Does anyone have any other ideas
Any info much appreciated

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Are you saying that the site isn't being ranked as you would expect it to, or it's not even being indexed?

#9 aSplash

aSplash

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 17 2010, 09:09 AM) View Post
Are you saying that the site isn't being ranked as you would expect it to, or it's not even being indexed?

Hi Its not being listed at all. If i do site:http://Domain in google it shoes nothing, if i do the same in Yahoo it shows all the indexed files. I wish i could post a link to the website so someone could have look if there was anything wrong.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Toolbar PR won't tell you anything useful about whether links are passing value, how much value, or whether you've torpedoed your listings for other reasons.

It sound to me like you're investing too much hope and faith in link building and not enough time in mastering the fundamentals of search engine optimization.

Have you done a technical review of your site? For example, what does your robots.txt say? Are you blocking any crawlers in your .htaccess file or some control table that bans IP addreses? Are you using "noindex" or "noarchive" in meta tags? Are you using "nofollow" on internal links or in meta tags?

How long does it take your pages to load?

Have you registered the site with Google's Webmaster Tools? What do the reports there tell you?

With respect to your link building, are the linking pages where you get your links using "nofollow"? Are they indexed in Google? (Use the info: operator to find out). Do those sites appear for their own names in Google's search results? Failing to do so could indicate either a penalty or a bad SEO job. And sometimes you think you're getting a good deal with a PR 6 page but it may have already been penalized for selling or otherwise granting questionable links -- thus dropping to that 6 from a PR 7 or PR 8.

#11 aSplash

aSplash

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 17 2010, 07:27 PM) View Post
Toolbar PR won't tell you anything useful about whether links are passing value, how much value, or whether you've torpedoed your listings for other reasons.
(i am not familiar with the term Torpedoed, please explain)

It sound to me like you're investing too much hope and faith in link building and not enough time in mastering the fundamentals of search engine optimization.
( the site is full optimised, we have used the same techniques as we have on our other sites which are very succesfull on Google)

Have you done a technical review of your site? For example, what does your robots.txt say? Are you blocking any crawlers in your .htaccess file or some control table that bans IP addreses? Are you using "noindex" or "noarchive" in meta tags? Are you using "nofollow" on internal links or in meta tags?
(i havent messed with the robots.txt on this site, I dont really see it neccesary at the this stage)

How long does it take your pages to load?
(pages area all built with css and ar very wuick to load, quicker thatn all other sites we run)

Have you registered the site with Google's Webmaster Tools? What do the reports there tell you?
(yes, no craler errors, but no stats)

With respect to your link building, are the linking pages where you get your links using "nofollow"? Are they indexed in Google? (Use the info: operator to find out). Do those sites appear for their own names in Google's search results? Failing to do so could indicate either a penalty or a bad SEO job. And sometimes you think you're getting a good deal with a PR 6 page but it may have already been penalized for selling or otherwise granting questionable links -- thus dropping to that 6 from a PR 7 or PR 8.
I will have a look in to this, They are links that only show when google bit crawls the site. I have always had a worry about this (not my idea) but they have seemed to work well on our other sites.

Thanks very much for the advice

Edited by chrishirst, 18 May 2010 - 04:09 AM.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:10 AM

Torpedoed
To destroy decisively; wreck:

#13 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I have one that's still not indexed that has been live and linked to for about 7 weeks now... sometimes it just takes time. You just can't make the search engines work on your schedule.

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(aSplash @ May 18 2010, 01:56 AM) View Post
( the site is full optimised, we have used the same techniques as we have on our other sites which are very succesfull on Google)

I wasn't referring to titles, meta, and alt= tags when I spoke about the "fundamentals of search engine optimization". I addressed some of them in the subsequent points.

SEO is not all about what's on the page and it's not all about links. Combined those two areas cover 20-25% of search engine optimization.

(i havent messed with the robots.txt on this site, I dont really see it neccesary at the this stage)

Have you looked to see if there is a generic robots.txt that disallows crawling?

(pages area all built with css and ar very wuick to load, quicker thatn all other sites we run)

Have you checked them with Google's page loader?

(yes, no craler errors, but no stats)

But what else have you looked at? You're not providing much information, but I know there are other things to look at in the Webmaster tools.

I will have a look in to this, They are links that only show when google bit crawls the site. I have always had a worry about this (not my idea) but they have seemed to work well on our other sites.

I'm not sure I follow you, but if you're saying your only links are on sites that only serve links to Google, that sounds suspicious.

Is the site a blog? Does it ping? What types of sites are you getting links from? Are you promoting the site through advertising, social media, etc.? Are people mentioning the site when they talk about your vertical in blogs and forums?

#15 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

That was my first thought as well. searchme.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.