• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Much Rank Would You Loose If You Site Was Down For 4 Months

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 megabuff

megabuff

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

hello to the forum.

This is my first post.

My domain name expired over or months ago, unbeknownst to me. The e-mail address that they used to contact me to tell me it had expired, was in infiltrated by spam merchants to the tune of over a thousand a day.

Anyway, I obviously missed the e-mails and I wasn't really having much to do at my site, because I was going through a divorce, and my heart wasn't really in it. And so I didn't even know that my site had gone down'

Anyway, and after my rambling, the key point of all this is...................

If I get it back up and running now, how much will my rankings suffer?

Not that the slide was that great in ranking anyway, but it used to have a Google page rank of three.

I wasn't really making any money out of it, but I was keen to throw myself back into and have a serious go.

I did spend quite lot of time trading links and stuff like that to try and build it up. Also got a thousand business cards with my website on it. That will be wasted if I don't do anything.

The other problem is they the domain name up for sale and someone has bought it.

I have contacted them and told them. The situation and also told them that I'm pretty tight on money due to my divorce and could they do the fair thing and sell it back to me. And they have said yes, they will, as long as I play them what they paid for it, which they claim to be 200 US dollars. Why can't realistically think that it would have gone to a much more than $30-$50.

Is there a sight I can go to where I can check how much it was in fact, sold for?

thanks to your anticipated responses

Kevin

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

I'm not aware of any resource for past sale prices of domain names, and I doubt that sort of thing would be publicly available. Cities keep public records of how much properties sold for, but that's because the price your neighbor paid affects the value of your property. That just isn't analogous to the situation online.

Keep in mind that there are businesses based on finding out that a domain name is about to expire (that is public information) and grabbing it as soon as its available. Their business model isn't just about selling those domain names to new owners. Part of the reason they exist is to buy your domain name when you don't notice that you need to renew it and then sell it back to you at a quick profit.

So do I believe that they paid $200 for the domain and they're selling it back to you at cost? No -- not unless it was someone else who bought it when it expired and they bought it from them. But that doesn't matter. Unless the domain name is your own name, or a trademark you own, you're not going to get it back unless you pay them what they're asking. The question is whether it's worth it.

#3 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

If you've really done all that work, $200 to get it back doesn't sounds so terrible. What would the cost be to print new business cards, etc?

Try offering them $150 and see if they'll go for it... they might in fact have paid $200 for it if you did a lot of link-building work as that builds a good deal of value in the domain resale market.

Good luck with it! crossfingers.gif

#4 megabuff

megabuff

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE(Scottie @ May 14 2010, 10:02 AM) View Post
If you've really done all that work, $200 to get it back doesn't sounds so terrible. What would the cost be to print new business cards, etc?

Try offering them $150 and see if they'll go for it... they might in fact have paid $200 for it if you did a lot of link-building work as that builds a good deal of value in the domain resale market.

Good luck with it! crossfingers.gif

i have actually spent countless hours over a 3 yr period working on it with link rxchanges, but it never made me any money, so i am wonderign if it is worth it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!