• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Hiring Someone To Do Keyword Research?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question to ask....I just started a new website (blog where I will promote products) and am thinking of posting a job on Elance to hire someone to do some keyword research. I think I have a decent idea how to do the research but just don't have a lot of time to get it done right now as I'm caught up in other things and do want to make sure it is done right.

I've never hired anyone to do this though, so am not sure what all to put in the job ad?

I'm thinking I'd like 3-4 main phrases that I will try and target throughout my whole site and then on the main pain, and then 20-30? other phrases that I'll focus my articles/blog posts and links on.

Are there any other specifications I should make in a job post like this?

I'm just not sure how it works because someone could randomly just give me a list of words without having done the research. When hiring for this is there typically some type of guarantee or how does it work?

Again, sorry, this probably seems very rudimentary.

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

I haven't heard from him in a while, but it looks like Dan Theis is still offering inexpensive keyword research reports.

Lots of people subcontract parts of the process, so it's not silly at all. smile.gif

#3 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(Scottie @ May 7 2010, 09:56 PM) View Post
I haven't heard from him in a while, but it looks like Dan Theis is still offering inexpensive keyword research reports.

Lots of people subcontract parts of the process, so it's not silly at all. smile.gif

Oh wow, thank you for posting that! That site looks excellent - exactly what I need and right around what I was hoping for a budget. That's awesome - you just solved my search I think. smile.gif

#4 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I'm really curious about ..what you can expect to get for 99$ in terms of keyword research. I wouldn't expect more than a rough first level analysis so-to-speak at that price.

That being said, this is probably all you need to get started - once you're blog/site is running you can look up what keywords people are exactly searching for when they come to your website (in your analytics software - google analytics is free), and then you can further optimize/tweak your website/blog for those keywords.

EDIT: ...just felt like adding that Ive read some stuff by Dan Thies in the past, and all of it was very good - just to make clear that I was *not* trying to hint at him being a rip-off or anything.

EDIT #2:

Okay, cant hold this in, as it just made my day..I remembred this old interview I read 2-3 years ago (http://www.search-ma...s/dan-thies.htm):

Aaron Wall: What is KEI?
Dan Thies: The biggest mistake in the history of SEO. biggrin.gif
It's a formula that some folks use to try to evaluate the usefulness of search terms, but it's a really stupid formula and utterly useless. There is no magic number.

then I read on his website (the link Scottie provided):

"Competition metrics are provided for the 100 most popular search terms in each report. This includes the top 10 bids on Overture (keyword bids are no longer available), link popularity for top ranked sitess, and our own "KEI analysis" scoring based on the more accurate "keywords in title" and "keywords in anchor text" matches from Google's advanced search. "

LOL...seems like he accepted that people love the KEI thing and is now using his (more accurate) version of it in his sales letter :-).

(@Maria83: I still think, the 99$ keyword report might be worth it for you, though (if you dont have time to look into learning/doing keyword research yourself))

Edited by PatrickGer, 08 May 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,579 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

Actually, if you're a professional SEO ordering the report for a client, it's only 89.95.

I've had Dan's people do my keyword research a number of times. If you don't mind waiting about a week for the report, it's got some very useful information. There's also a form you can download from his site that you can use to seed the research with more information about the site and its niche.

#6 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the additional replies. I actually read that interview with him yesterday as well. I was researching a bit who he was.

My biggest concern with the report though, do they identify for you the keywords they recommend you would be able to rank in fairly easily? (as in work has to be put in but doable for a newer site with less experience smile.gif )

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,579 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

The report comes in the form of a spreadsheet with four sheets: Relevance, Traffic, Competing Sites and Link Competition.

I tend to use the Relevance sheet the most. It gives you the keywords in order of how often they're searched on. You then enter a figure of 0-100 in a "relevance" column -- basically, if 100 people searching on this keyword phrase clicked through from a SERP to one of your pages, how many of them would think "this is exactly what I was looking for". When you enter a relevance figure, the spreadsheet works out a weighted count by combining popularity with relevance. You then sort the data by the weighted count and you have the keywords that are the best combination of relevance and popularity at the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!