• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Landing Page Viewed As Bridge Page

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davidbrett

davidbrett

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Hi All,

I have been running a successful PPC campaign for the past 2 years for one of my sites. The site is in the travel industry and directs customers back to hotels own websites to complete their booking rather can promote third party booking engines.

Last week the quality score of the majority of my ads were changed to 1/10 and as a result my clicks have dried up. I am still getting bookings through my organic rankings and other channels but PPC was by biggest channel.

I have included Google's explanation below. Has anyone else had this problem before? What is the best way to overcome it?

Many thanks for your email. From reviewing this account '846-281-0027', I can confirm that the Landing Page Quality of the website 'www.breaksireland.com' has been deemed as a poor being classed as a Bridge Page.

Bridge Page:

# Primary purpose of the site is to drive traffic to another site(s) with a different domain
# Very little unique content or majority of content is duplicated on other sites
# No significant value add for users to visit this site
# Site profits off of sending users to another site through affiliate links

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

It kind of sounds like a click arbitrage page, which the big G doesn't like.

#3 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(davidbrett @ May 7 2010, 08:27 AM) View Post
the Landing Page Quality of the website has been deemed as a poor being classed as a Bridge Page.
Primary purpose of the site is to drive traffic to another site(s) with a different domain

Your website states that it is exactly what they mentioned, you actually told them you were using Bridge Pages on your About Us page:
"The Site is part of the Book Direct Network and is designed to drive targeted traffic back to our partner hotels sites."

A site (like yours) buys search ads and sends visitors to a page full of ads (in your case links to booking sites). You are paid when visitors click on an ad (disguised as a link to a site, as you mentioned, for booking). You (the arbitrager) earn the difference between what you paid per click and what you get paid per click.

Sound about right?

Looks like they just finally noticed and penalized you.

#4 davidbrett

davidbrett

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:50 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to do alot of work on the site over the next few weeks. I think there are a number of ways to improve the content on offer.

I wanted to explain in more detail the thought process behind the site and I would love to hear feedback on where I could go from here.

The hotel industry is full of third party portal sites (hotels.com, booking.com, expedia ect). These third party portals charge hotels 15% plus to bring bookings to the hotels through the portal site. The hotels typically have to manage the inventory of these portals on a seperate extranet meaning that there is more man hours required to manage these channels. The hotels also pay high commissions and lose control of their branding as the booker doesn't get to visit the hotels site.

My company provides a booking engine for hotels own website (among other services). Our affiliate marketing product powers this site. The aim of the affiliate programme is to put hotels back in control of their own inventory. We use cookie tracking so the hotel does not to manage inventory (it is sourced from its own site). The hotel updates the special offers available at the hotel on our system and these offers are then streamed out to affiliate sites.

Hotels are really excited about the programme and it has resulted in between 20% and 35% growth in the revenue through their own website.

The whole point of the system is to help increase the traffic and revenue through the hotels own sites (where they pay significantly less commission). The combined commission between the affiliate commission and their booking engine commission is less than 10% so it saves them on commission. It also allows them to have more control of the customer experience.

I feel there is alot of merit in what we are doing and there is definitely a need for this in the hotel industry.

The success of this is obviously not dependent on PPC but it does help. If we completed the bookings on the partner sites by forcing the hotels to set up another channel we would be going against what our objectives are.

Does anyone see a potential solution where we can continue to provide business back to the hotels own sites without been penalised for any PPC we do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!