• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Research On Built Websites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanielRivers

DanielRivers

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hi there,

I am doing a keyword research for three sites I own. One of them is well ranked, and it's an authority on its niche, the other two are on the ground. I have not had the time to promote them, now that I have it, I decided to buy a SEO course.
In this course, it's explained that the keyword research must be done even before building the website, unfortunately I can not do that; one of the sites has more than fifty well organized articles, so I decided to do a keyword research for each article instead of building an article for each keyword.

Is it necessary to research the keywords for each article as the course explains?

How many keywords should I use for each article? I know the more the better but some of the keywords will bring untargeted traffic, unless I add some definitions for those keywords.

Thanks in advice.

#2 DanielRivers

DanielRivers

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Well, I bought Jill's Whalen [url=http://www.highrankings.com/seo-writing]Nitty-gritty Book[/url] I hope this helps.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

The Nitty-gritty Book won't help you research keywords. It's to help understand how to use them in a natural way within your page content.

That said, since you're talking about articles and not the actual product or service pages of your site, you really don't need a specific number of keywords per article.

Just write your articles and the will show up for the long tail words you're naturally using within them. I'm not a big fan of optimizing articles as it's not really necessary and makes them sound bad.

Optimizing the actual pages of your site is where you can gain the best SEO benefit, imo.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

In this course, it's explained that the keyword research must be done even before building the website

If that's what the course says, the course is wrong. When you're building a new site, it's smart to do keyword research first, as it will help you determine a logical structure for the site.

But when an SEO is brought in to work on a site, there's usually already a site there, and we definitely don't tell 100% of our clients that they have to delete their old site and start from scratch. Instead, we do keyword research, determine which keywords we're going to use, and then make decisions about where we're going to use them and make changes to the site based on that. Some of the pages get those new keyword phrases assigned to them, and some new pages are created to target other keyword phrases that wouldn't work on any of the pages that are already there.

If you do keyword research now, you may find that you've worded some of your articles using terms that your intended audience might not use, and that you might be able to better target the articles by optimizing them for those phrases. Or you might decide to write some new articles that target the phrases your research has led you to and leave your older articles as they are. Some people do keyword research and check trending of one phrase against a few others as part of the process of deciding what they want to write articles about. That's all up to you.

#5 DanielRivers

DanielRivers

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 6 2010, 08:01 AM) View Post
The [Book] won't help you research keywords. It's to help understand how to use them in a natural way within your page content.

I wanted to learn to place those keywords naturally, that's why I got your book. Moreover, I want to boost the traffic of my website, I am not selling anything there, it's just informative (full guides). Letīs say I want to monetize it with an affiliate program, still I want to transmit what I am saying there but naturally. I am thinking, if I optimize each article for the key-phrases related to the topic of the article, it will receive a boost on the search engines.

Is this method wrong for informative sites?

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 6 2010, 10:24 AM) View Post
If that's what the course says, the course is wrong. When you're building a new site, it's smart to do keyword research first, as it will help you determine a logical structure for the site.

But when an SEO is brought in to work on a site, there's usually already a site there, and we definitely don't tell 100% of our clients that they have to delete their old site and start from scratch. Instead, we do keyword research, determine which keywords we're going to use, and then make decisions about where we're going to use them and make changes to the site based on that. Some of the pages get those new keyword phrases assigned to them, and some new pages are created to target other keyword phrases that wouldn't work on any of the pages that are already there.

If you do keyword research now, you may find that you've worded some of your articles using terms that your intended audience might not use, and that you might be able to better target the articles by optimizing them for those phrases. Or you might decide to write some new articles that target the phrases your research has led you to and leave your older articles as they are. Some people do keyword research and check trending of one phrase against a few others as part of the process of deciding what they want to write articles about. That's all up to you.

I guess that researching for a selected group of articles is wiser than researching for all them. Taking into account the site has more than 50 articles, and most of these articles, are related though, they must be targeted using different keyphrases.

For example: The site has a guide as an "Introduction to business".
The first subject or article talks about the definition of business, meanwhile the following talks about the purpose of a business. Both are related, but in the case of the first one, I want it to be found on SE using the keyphrase "definition of business" and all its derivated keyphrases as "what is a business?","enterprise definition" etc. The second must be found on SE using keyphrases as "purpose of a business", "business purposes" etc. and so on for the rest of the articles in the website. So I don't know whether I should do it in this way, seems to be pretty annoying since I must research for each article, moreover, some keyphrases are too competitive to be targeted for just an article.

There is another option suggested in the course I was talking about:
Categorizing each articles according to nested keyphrases:
For example:
Having a category targeting the keyphrase "Business tips", I can write topics using the nested keywords as "business management tips, business writing tips" etc., In this way I can target different keyphrases but related, so it's easy for the SE to know what the articles are all about since they will be, very close each other in linking structure.

I do not know which could be the best option.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,038 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

In this course, it's explained that the keyword research must be done even before building the website

This is just an example of the dumb thinking that "keyworded URIs" and "keyworded domain names" are a primary or significant factor in search, and that is wrong!

#7 DanielRivers

DanielRivers

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ May 7 2010, 07:34 AM) View Post
This is just an example of the dumb thinking that "keyworded URIs" and "keyworded domain names" are a primary or significant factor in search, and that is wrong!

I am agree with you. The main point here is the content. I have this website rich in content that must be optimized for several keywords. The question is whether I should optimize for each article our group of articles. The course I was talking about, make an example of a site built from the very beginning, where it was keyword content based, but just in content. I guess I must optimize for each keyword that may bring the visitors I want, in this case, visitors interested on my ads or any affiliate program product, otherwise it would be a waste of time.

Either way thank your for your advice and comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!