• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Dmoz

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 bambam

bambam

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

just wondering if DOMZ or ODP is still relevant and if anyone has had sucess in getting listed?
Also what search engines use ODP?

thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

I don't know if it's still relevant, but I did recently have success in getting a site listed.

Well, relisted, actually. A site that had been listed for years got dropped because its host went out of business, so the site was unavailable when ODP checked up on it and they removed its listing. I discovered months later that the listing was gone and didn't connect it to the site being down briefly, so I submitted an abuse report. They replied and gave me the real reason for the removal.

I assumed that meant they'd check on it again soon, notice it was back and put the listing back in place, but that didn't happen, so I posted a question about it on their forum and then resubmitted the site. A week or two after that, the listing was back up.

So, only an hour or two of work over the course of a few months to get a site that had been listed for years back into the directory. Was it worth the effort? Beats me.

#3 bambam

bambam

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

thanks qwerty! I am new to this forum as of today so thanks for the quick responce smile.gif
very mixed messages on the web as to the future and present of DMOZ or ODP. anywhere else I could look for relevance? As far as I know DMOZ only lists unique websites and not repeats of the same stuff (they will not list all sites for cars for example just ones that are unique and useful)

thanks again

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

There was an article promoted on Sphinn last week that argued that the ODP is no longer relevant because its mission has been undermined by SEOs, but all of the evidence the article pointed to was 3-5 years old, so I really didn't see the point of it.

By the way, I didn't notice at first that you're new here, so a slightly belated welcome to HR hi.gif

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

Welcome Bambam! hi.gif

I'd say it's worth submitting to but not worth sweating over.

#6 michaelj72

michaelj72

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

i would have to say from all that i've read that dmoz is still quite 'relevant', meaning that it would pass some trust and authority and perhaps even decent page rank 'juice'. personally i consider it to be a main authority site on the internet (in spite of all the criticism from many webmasters that one can read in forums) - of course only google engineers would know for sure how much 'value' a listing there would receive/pass along, but i have to say it goes without question to me that if google itself is using dmoz as the source for its own directory then google must attach some/considerable 'value' to the open directory. i believe that's pretty solid deductive reasoning - unless you want to argue or say that google doesn't value its own directory. it's worth a try. and dmoz has been around for ages and domain age is a factor in seo....

#7 Nozmo

Nozmo

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

I was very surprised to see that we were recently dropped from dmoz. That was after being included for about 5 years. I just happened to look one day. Resubmitted - will see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!