• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Staying Under The Radar /not Being Noticed As An Seo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

Ive thought about this before..and now Ill ask it here :-)

Is there any point in trying not to be seen as an SEO by the search engines? Certain things you might do (e.g. putting the bold tag around keywords in your page copy, using the no-follow tag?,...) could send signals to the search engines telling them you're a webmaster who does SEO actively.

Highly theoretical, I know, but it might make sense for the SEs to distinguish between pages that are not SEOd (actively) and pages that are (obviously) SEOd actively...and giving the former a ranking boost (or the opposite for the latter). If someone clearly uses SEO techniques on his website, then I would expect him to have more link authority pointing to his website (for example) than the exact same website would have if the person did not do active SEO/link building.

Is there any point in staying under the radar and not even getting noticed as an SEO?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(PatrickGer @ May 4 2010, 01:52 PM) View Post
Ive thought about this before..and now Ill ask it here :-)

Is there any point in trying not to be seen as an SEO by the search engines? Certain things you might do (e.g. putting the bold tag around keywords in your page copy, using the no-follow tag?,...) could send signals to the search engines telling them you're a webmaster who does SEO actively.

Emphasizing text is not an "SEO thing". It's something millions of people do all the time.

If you're asking whether there is some sort of penalty or closer scrutiny for sites that have been highly optimized, that is extremely unlikely to happen for the vast majority of sites.

Some repeat offenders get into trouble because of their EXCESSIVE abuse of tricks.

#3 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Being an SEO isn't a bad thing! Seriously.

Setting up a page properly, emphasizing key phrases and looking for ways to market a site is not evil.

If you are blog spamming, creating link islands and generally messing up the web, you probably want to hide what you do.

#4 Catz

Catz

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

If you are blog spamming, creating link islands and generally messing up the web, you probably want to hide what you do.

That appears to be what a lot of people trying to perform SEO these days actually think it is. dntknw.gif

The focus is on getting lots of links into the site rather than attracting links. Site content seems to be ignored or neglected in many cases (other than trying to add keywords here and there) and setting up a page properly is overlooked.

Website optimization beyond title and meta tags, beyond the header tags and getting an excessive number of links into the site, what a concept. Is it already becoming a lost art?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

In another similar thread you posted (which you probably could have asked as part of this one) I pointed you to my article the Art of SEO. It's actually even more appropriate for this one.

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 5 2010, 03:03 PM) View Post
In another similar thread you posted (which you probably could have asked as part of this one) I pointed you to my article the Art of SEO. It's actually even more appropriate for this one.

Thanks for the replies; will check out the article Jill

EDIT: Just read the article..and am a bit confused - Does this mean you disagree to a certain extent with what Michael Martinez said..about it being extremely unlikely to happen?

Somehow, I dont see the two of you disagreeing on a topic like that, but it kind of reads to me like Jill would agree that you ought to be careful not to be seen as an SEO whereas Michael said it's highly unlikely (thus not really much of a need to pay attention to it)....? Did I misunderstand any of you?

Edited by PatrickGer, 05 May 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Yes, I do disagree.

You keyword stuff a page it surely must trip some red flags and put your site under further scrutiny.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

But does keyword stuffing necessarily label you as an SEO? Maybe it labels you as a lousy SEO searchme.gif

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Using emphasis is not the same as keyword stuffing. Using a lot of unrelated keywords or using keywords excessively is keyword stuffing. BOLD and italicizing text is a normal part of publishing content on the Web.

#10 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

I agree. Using bold text isn't the same as keyword stuffing. Using too much bold text is pretty similar, except that if you go all the way and put your entire page in bold text, there's nothing left to stand out from the rest and you may as well have put nothing in bold. If you push your keyword stuffing up to 100% of a page's content, that's still keyword stuffing. Really, really bad keyword stuffing, actually.

Like I said in the other thread, it comes down to the idea that you shouldn't overdo anything. As the old cliche doesn't quite say, nothing exceeds like excess. And if the argument is that giving the search engines the knowledge that an SEO worked on a given page is a bad thing, I disagree. The bad thing is doing a bad job of SEO -- perhaps by overdoing it, but there are plenty of other ways to screw things up. And you don't need an SEO to do a bad job of SEO. Any dope can manage that, whether they're a globally lauded search marketing guru (because they say they are) or they're a four-year-old with access to a web server.

I honestly don't think the search engines view us as the bad guys. Obviously, there are some among us who use cloaking (the kind the search engines don't approve of, but that's a separate discussion) or have networks of link farms and domain farms that they use to push garbage to the top. Those are the bad guys as far as the search engines are concerned. Then there are those of us who are simply benign, because they don't really know what they're doing, but at least they don't do any harm. And there are some of us who actually make real improvements to their clients' sites, making them easier for search engines to find, crawl, and identify, and better for users.

If all it took to get a site in trouble was an indication that an SEO -- any SEO -- had worked on it, all the engines would have to do is go to our sites, copy down the names of the clients we announce that we've worked for (lots of us do it, myself included), and just ban those sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!