• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Urchin Shows Huge Drop In Traffic Google Shows Steady Traffic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WaldenPond

WaldenPond

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

Having a problem with my Urchin stats VS. my google, know they will never match but. .

one domain consistently had over over 4,000 page views for months, then one day with no changes to the site PV's dropped to 167 and have been steady below 200 for the past 6 week.

However, the google stats show steady traffic with no drop, actually a slight increase.

How can I trouble shoot this ?

Thanks.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Are you 100% sure there have been absolutely no changes to code and content?

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

Too many questions to provide much of an answer. wink1.gif But since GoAn is still recording traffic you can safely assume they're not just making it up, which leads you directly to there being some issue with Urchin.

How to you have Urchin set up? It's both a log file analyzer and also has the UTM javascript-based add on. UTM allows you to track visitor sessions and to overcome many/most caching issues. Are you using only one or both? And if you are using UTM are you using a centrally located UTM or is that file hosted on your domain space? And if it's going to a centrally located space are the files actually there?

Also double check your log file analysis runs. It is possible that some other process on the server is resetting the permissions and ownership of your log files, essentially blocking Urchins access from them for parts of the day. This sort of thing will normally become quickly apparent because you'll see all or most hits to the web site occur between X hour and Y hour in Urchin, then suddenly all traffic shuts off.

Long story short, you'll need to troubleshoot what Urchin is doing and where things are failing. That'll usually lead you to a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!