• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

I Can Find How To Change From Broad To Phrase Match

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

1) Let me get this right: Google puts everything by defalut in a broad match and then provides and interface that is virtually impossible to find how to change it?
I have 100 keywords.

I'd like to do this in their convouted interface -- not have to deal with adwords editor which is even more convoluted and difficut to understand. thanks!

My campaign is paused until someone can help me!

PS I have adwords editor for another account. this issue is with new account, my other account comes up in adwords editor, I don't see a way to change acconts there. Should I download another copy of adwords editor for the the account? Is this intentional on Googles part. That they defalt everything to broad match, and the interface is viturlaly impossible to figure out how to change all 100 keywords to phrase of exact match. I'm pausing the campagin till someone can help me. I'm so flustured.

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

To create a phrase match, just put double quotes around the key phrase: "key phrase"

To create an exact match, put square brackets around the key phrase: [key phrase]

#3 kevs

kevs

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:31 PM

the post was about doing 100 at a time.

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:06 AM

OK, well to be accurate it's you, not Google, that has put everything by default into broad match by entering the keywords without quotation marks or square brackets in the first place.

Now you want to change it but you can't be bothered to learn the tool that Google specifically provides for this purpose - Adwords Editor - calling it "convoluted". Hmm, millions of people use that tool all of the time.

Whatever, if you insist on using the interface then the simplest method would be to go to the keywords tab, select all the keywords you want to edit, select "Edit->Edit in Spreadsheet", then either manipulate in the spreadsheet or do it in a text editor.

To do it in a text editor, copy the keywords column out of the spreadsheet, edit it in the text editor of your choice (adding quotes or square brackets at the end of each keyword), then paste it back into the spreadsheet and save.

You can do this in notepad but it would be a bit laborious. Some text editors are more efficient. I use the vim text editor and the commands you would need to add quotes (for phrase match) to the beginning and end of each line are:

CODE
:g/^/s//"/g
:g/$/s//"/g

To add square brackets (for exact match), it would be:

CODE
:g/^/s//[/g
:g/$/s//]/g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your