• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Help Choose Subdomain Or /directory/

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 buster13

buster13

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

I have an e-commerce website.
I plan to write SEO based e-commerce content/article to help boost website PR and traffic rank. I will use and setup Wordpress as my content management.

a] /Directory/ method: example.com/newWordpressCms/
b] subdomain method: newWordpressCms.example.com

Which above methods of deploying will ensure a 'boost' to example.com in PR and traffic rank ??

For more info, it means to admin Wordpress
a] example.com/newWordpressCms/wp-admin
B] newWordpressCms.example.com/wp-admin

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Neither will ensure a "boost" to your PR or traffic. Do what makes sense for your site and your visitors.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Which above methods of deploying will ensure a 'boost' to example.com in PR and traffic rank ??

Since PR is only about links, neither method will affect that.

I'm not sure what "traffic rank" is, so I can't answer that.

But in answer to whether you should use a subdomain or a subdirectory for your blog, either is fine. It makes no difference in terms of SEO at least.

#4 buster13

buster13

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 21 2010, 11:18 AM) View Post
Since PR is only about links, neither method will affect that.

I'm not sure what "traffic rank" is, so I can't answer that.

But in answer to whether you should use a subdomain or a subdirectory for your blog, either is fine. It makes no difference in terms of SEO at least.

traffic rank - actually i was preferring to Alexa Traffic Rank.

In any case, if we put PR and traffic rank aside, i JUST want MORE customers to visit my e-commerce store. By writing and posting SEO based content such as

- 101 Do's and Don'ts to run an e-commerce site
- 10 Easy tips to setup e-commerce site
- 10 funniest t-shirts in the world
- 10 Top clothing brands in Asia
etc. etc.

Since these articles are SEO based (with keywords) I was hoping many people will click and read them and INDIRECTLY they will visit my main e-commerce website as well. It is like adding 'text' content for search engines spiders (as they are not good at crawling my product images) if you know what i mean.

That is why i can't make up my mind in setup WordPress to /directory/ or as subdomain (which links to/from my Main website)

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:17 AM

If you want people to visit your product pages, your best bet is to put some text content there.

If the articles on the blog aren't directly relevant to the same audience you hope will buy your products, then the best you can hope the blog will do is to earn some links and that the link juice from those pages will flow through the rest of the site. So if you're going to publish an article about the 10 funniest t-shirts in the world, it's going to do you a lot more good if you happen to also sell those t-shirts and can link to their product pages from the article.

None of that will be affected by the choice of whether you place the blog in a subdirectory or a subdomain. As long as you link from one section of the site to the other, it's not going to make a difference.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

You're coming at things with the wrong goals.

Your goals should not be to increase PR or Alexa traffic rank.

Is your true goal to sell products? If so, what kind of products? And what kind of information can you provide on your website that will better sell those products.

Forget about PageRank and Alexa Rank. Those are byproducts of having a site that people BUY from a lot. They are not end goals in and of themselves.

#7 buster13

buster13

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

Starting a new site is good and easy, however maintaining is the hard part.
I do agree that a new website requires a lot more info and content vs a sub-directory. Will make a decision.

#8 lvalesko

lvalesko

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have the same question, (directory vs subdomain), but I'm wondering which will help our site as far a Google considering our blog as adding 'fresh content' to our site, (as opposed to getting back links or driving customers to a site as the question was originally asked)??

We use our blog as a way to add keyword rich pages and new content but want to be sure it's seen keeping our ecommerce site from getting stale and adding to crawled pages to help in our organic ranking.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

I have the same question, (directory vs subdomain), but I'm wondering which will help our site as far a Google considering our blog as adding 'fresh content' to our site, (as opposed to getting back links or driving customers to a site as the question was originally asked)??

Makes no difference for SEO.

#10 lvalesko

lvalesko

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 9 2010, 10:33 AM) View Post
Makes no difference for SEO.

Great!

So pages we add to "blog.example.com" will look like new pages to Google for our main site "example.com" and be indexed as such?

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

So pages we add to "blog.example.com" will look like new pages to Google for our main site "example.com" and be indexed as such?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

It sounds like you might be thinking that adding new and more pages to a site is somehow something good and helpful to Google and your overall SEO efforts. That's not necessarily the case.

It's how any new pages you create link to the rest of your site that matters, which is why it doesn't make a difference if the pages are on example.com/blog or blog.example.com or even someotherexamplesite.com.

#12 lvalesko

lvalesko

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 10 2010, 09:08 AM) View Post
It sounds like you might be thinking that adding new and more pages to a site is somehow something good and helpful to Google and your overall SEO efforts. That's not necessarily the case.

Yes I am - maybe incorrectly - but I thought Google likes sites that are adding fresh content and keyword rich pages so as not to appear stale... is this not correct?

We have a retail site where we sell x amount of items and have been selling these same items for several years - so new pages and content were not being added. We've added a blog as a way to add fresh content and more pages with keywords and links to our products but I want to be sure that Google 'sees' these new blog pages as being added to the store's website as opposed to the blog being seen as a separate site from the store.

When I do a site:www.example.com search I'd like the blog pages to show up as newly indexed pages for www.example.com

Hope this makes sense! :-)

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,841 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

but I thought Google likes sites that are adding fresh content and keyword rich pages so as not to appear stale... is this not correct?
No it isn't!

Loaves of bread and biscuits(cookies) "go stale", webpages are either relevant to a search or NOT.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

I thought Google likes sites that are adding fresh content and keyword rich pages so as not to appear stale... is this not correct?

Yes. It is not correct.

If you already have pages that target specific keywords, adding more pages that target those same keywords won't help anything.

The purpose of a blog is to inform people in your target audience about stuff going on in your industry or your company and to establish your credibility or expertise. It's also good to link back where helpful to your products or services, but it makes no different what domain your blog is on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!