• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Original Content Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

Hopefully this is an okay section to ask this - I wasn't entirely sure where it should be. I have a client contacting me to write some articles for his website and he wants to know how much I'd charge to turn one article I write into three variations on the same topic but different enough to be considered 'original'.

I've never done something like this before so am not sure what to quote him (typically I write only originals).

Just how different does one article have to from another to be considered original by search engines?

Are we talking a few sentences that different or does it pretty much have to be a new article entire just focused around the same points? If anyone could help with that, that would be really appreciated - I have no idea what to quote him on my rate...

Thanks!

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hi Maria-

Fun client you have there! Bleh.

I guess your client wants to submit them to article sites? I certainly wouldn't put three variations of the same article on one website... that's just dumb. As to how much content is considered "original" no one really knows, although there are a lot of guesses out there.

Personally, I don't think I'd write the variations. Charge him for the one article and let him run it through some spam generators or hand it off to the many non-english speaking "rewriters" to make it "unique".

If you do want to write the variations, charge whatever you charge per hour based on how long it will take you to make it "unique".

#3 Maria83

Maria83

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. smile.gif That's what I'm thinking - I'll just figure out how long it'll take me to retype it and base that on my hourly rate I'd like to make.

I'm going to ask him just how original he wants it and see if he knows. If he just wants me to re-write the intro or something, that's an easy fix and wouldn't cost much, but to rewrite the entire thing, it's going to take some time... I just didn't know if there were specific 'rules' about how much of the content had to be different.

Thanks again!

#4 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

run it through some spam generators

I dont have any intentions of doing this myself :-), but Im curious, as Ive never heard of that. Are there spam generators that allow you to test if something would be considered duplicate content? (I realize I might have misunderstood this part..still asking tongue.gif)

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

I believe what you're talking about would generally fall into the category often referred to as article spinning. wink1.gif

1. No you wouldn't want the variations appearing on the same site.
2. There are lots of different approaches, ranging from changing a few words here and there to changing complete sentences.
3. The search engines have never said how different something needs to be in order to not be duplicate, so of course there is no tool that can tell you where the tipping point is.
4. If they're talking about doing a typical article submission to multiple places, three versions isn't going to be nearly enough. It would have to be able to be spun to have dozens of versions, not just a few. Three would be a waste of time and effort.
5. Yes it still works, if done right. But just because it works doesn't mean everyone should do it. Especially since most will try to do a few versions and not get it right. Either for the search engines or users.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

It's my impression that most of the people who are spinning articles these days are submitting them to blog networks. I am pretty sure at least some of those blog networks have recently lost value in certain search engines' algorithms. I have no idea of whether those apparent deflations of value are tied to the spun articles or not.

There is, in my opinion, risk entailed when spinning articles. It's not a practice for the faint of heart.

In my opinion, even though the search engines have not really said they oppose it, it's not exactly what most people would consider to be "white hat" SEO. It falls into the gray area in my book.

And like Randy says, the consistency and quality varies from tool to tool/service to service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!