• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Varying Anchor Text

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

My site is centered around fantasy cheat sheets, fantasy football cheat sheets to be exact. There are tens of thousands of sites that offer traditional fantasy football cheat sheets (i.e. a list of players in the order of their value), but my site is different in that I allow users to CREATE their own fantasy cheat sheets using drag and drop.

I want to be able to separate myself from other sites that offer static sheets, but I can't make up my mind what 'word' creates the separation. The search volume for things like 'create fantasy football cheat sheets' or 'dynamic fantasy football cheat sheets' or 'custom fantasy football cheat sheets' is so small that there is no clear winner.

So, what I've been doing when requesting links is varying the anchor text. Sometimes I'll ask for 'custom fantasy football cheat sheets', sometimes I'll ask for 'create fantasy football cheat sheets', etc. The gotcha seems to be that I can only use one of these in my title tag. So does this mean I'm wasting my time when requesting anchor text that doesn't match my title tag?

For instance, my title tag currently reads "Custom Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets & Player Rankings". If I decide to stand pat here should I only request anchor text with 'Custom', or would it still make sense to vary it?

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Sure, it's a good idea to get a variation on your keyword phrases.

I imagine you have more than one page on your site... you can optimize other pages for your other phrases. You can also optimize a page for more than one phrase!

Bear in mind that search marketing only works for things people are actually searching for... if you are introducing a new concept you are going to have to get it out there and push it instead of sitting back and waiting for search traffic.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

If you're going to ask for targeted anchor text, then using the power keyword method will probably work best for several reasons. First, you do want to vary your anchor text to suit the relevance of the content that provides the link. Secondly, you want to maximize your keyword emphasis to approach as many queries as possible. And, last, you don't want all your links to look identical and like cookie-cutter content.

Power keyword optimization was defined as using larger, complex phrases that could be broken down into smaller phrases. The goal was to use multi-purpose expression combinations that represented many different ways people searched for content.

For example, let's say you have a Website about "the care and feeding of SEO forum gurus". Your keyword research tells you that people search on "seo forum gurus", "taking care of seo forum gurus", "how to feed seo forum gurus", "seo forum guru feeding habits", etc.

You can emphasize the power keyword phrase "how to take care of seo forum gurus feeding habits". That expression includes "care of seo forum gurus", "seo forum gurus", "seo forum guru feeding habits", "care [and] feeding ... of seo forum gurus", etc.

The words don't all have to be in the same order as the query terms in order to be relevant to the query (although exact matching is preferable when possible).

Another form of power keyword optimization (not so widely practiced) is palindromic keyword optimization. A palindrome is a word or expression that looks the same forward and backwards. A word or expression is palindromic if it IS a palindrome or if it is ALMOST a palindrome.

Hence, you could optimize for "forum seo gurus seo forum" and get the expression coming and going ("forum seo gurus", "gurus seo forum") as well as sub-expressions like "forum seo", "seo gurus", "seo forum", "gurus seo".

These are not approaches that lend themselves well to good copywriting but you can use these tactics for page and section titles or labels and occasionally drop them into your main body copy.

Link anchor text can sometimes provide you opportunities for power keyword optimization. Of course, a good title makes great link anchor text and you don't have to worry about too many links using the same anchor text.

In fact, if I had my druthers, I would druther use the preferred keyword expression in the page/article title and ask people to link using the title.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,917 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Michael, did you make up these things "power keyword optimization" and "palindromic keyword optimization"?

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 21 2010, 05:43 AM) View Post
Michael, did you make up these things "power keyword optimization" and "palindromic keyword optimization"?

I think I can claim credit for the palindromic terminology. I don't know of anyone who wrote about it before I wrote about it on SEO Theory.

The power keyword optimization technique comes from an article I read around 2000 (maybe 1999). I don't remember who wrote it, but I've always tried not to take credit for that idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!