• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Using Web Optimizer To Reduce Bounce Rates On Pages

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I have been using web optimizer ever since it came out. Very good for lots of things and has helped increase registration rates. Use it primarily for landing page testing, always AB Testing. Since we are B2B and have a long sales cycle, the goal in the landing page situation is generating a lead. Since it is b2b, it can take along time for test results to be valid.

But that is for landing pages & forms, I am having trouble understanding how to use web optimizer to test various page layouts/graphics so I can reduce the bounce rate on a page. The goal here is so that they stay and go to some other page on the site. That can be "lots" of other pages on the site.

In web optimizer, you do not have the option to put in multiple "conversion" pages for a test in optimizer. Again, I can really only do AB testing because of the volumes conundrum. I have been pondering long and hard and I can't see how it can be done...i.e. how you put in multiple conversion pages.

Can someone save me time and tell me nuts and bolts of doing it? I bought a few different books, but I would appreciate any help so I don't have to wade through alot of chapters. Am I using the wrong tool? Do I just use my analytics program and substitute out a different page segmented over a week, i.e. put up version of page page.htm for a month then put up another version of the page: pagev2.htm for the next month. Thanks, DJKay

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(DJKay @ Apr 19 2010, 01:35 PM) View Post
...The goal here is so that they stay and go to some other page on the site. That can be "lots" of other pages on the site.

You have to make the transition from the current page to another page on the site a compelling conversion experience.

If the current page a visitor is seeing already satisfies their need, then it won't be their desire that causes them to click on a link to look deeper into the site. Hence, you have to "sell" your deeper content to your visitors from within your site.

Website optimizer isn't really designed to help you with that functionality. It's designed to help you improve a page's performance for user engagement.

If you just optimize a page to persuade visitors to click through to deeper content, then you're really only creating a doorway page.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

I emailed Avinash Kaushik, Google's Analytics guru and he sent me two links. I am including them in case anyone is interested. It looks like optimizer can test with multiple conversion pages identified. He gives two ways to crack the nut, one is measuring time on the page and the other is the solution we are going to try first..

Here is his email back:
There are many ways to measure conversion with GWO. But one of them that you can do is use Time on Page as a conversion goal. It translates effectively as a measure of if people spent time on the page. Here is how you configure it:

http://www.google.co...mp;answer=74345

You might also find this as a good option:

http://www.google.co...mp;answer=61200

All the best.

Avinash.
I will try it and let you know how it goes...DJKay

#4 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

Cool that he responded. smile.gif Let us know how it goes.

#5 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Well I have read through both of them and have a quandary....I would like to use the one with http://www.google.co...mp;answer=61200 But this looks like it uses the multivariate test option or can it be done with the AB test option? It does not identify it clearly in the write up on Google

The page I want to start with is a low volume page so I can get some experience using the test then move forward with it to other higher volume pages. I would only test two variations.

So I am not sure now...DJKay

#6 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Heard from Avinash...He validated my assumption that we could run it as a multi variate test, just with two options...so we went ahead with the test on a lesser page...Its different using the multi variate option....am learning some things....its going to take a while to get results but will report back..DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!