• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Research - Overwhelming Data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi - I find KW research overwhelming - the data is exhausting.

Does anyone have any tips to get rid of the 80% of irrelevant KW's. I guess the trick is to work out what are the irrelevant terms.....

Thanks wink1.gif

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

I just do it by eyeballing them. It's usually pretty obvious what makes sense for your website and what doesn't.

#3 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:50 AM

@lister: Could you be a bit more specific? Im not sure I see your problem? But I guess my reply would be similar to Jill's

#4 firedog

firedog

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:26 AM

I agree. Pick one or two tools (my favorite is the Google Keyword tool), and eyeball the list to find the most relevant/most searched ones (including specialized "niche" ones if they are relevant). It isn't that hard - ignore the KW and other stats, and go for the ones that best fit your site.

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Maybe this is the issue... I find a lot of people who are new to the concept look at keyword research reports and want to focus on the keywords with the highest searches or highest searches/lowest results regardless of whether or not the phrase makes sense for their site. It's kinda related and it looks better than the more relevant phrases...

Don't fall into that trap! If your site is about document storage, there's no point in looking at the results for document retrieval, even if they show up on the report and look more powerful. It's not what your site does.

The idea is to find phrases that DO relate specifically to your site and find ones you might not have thought to include as well as prioritizing the ones that do relate.

HTH!

#6 AgSEO

AgSEO

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE(Scottie @ Apr 20 2010, 01:37 PM) View Post
Maybe this is the issue... I find a lot of people who are new to the concept look at keyword research reports and want to focus on the keywords with the highest searches or highest searches/lowest results regardless of whether or not the phrase makes sense for their site. It's kinda related and it looks better than the more relevant phrases...

Don't fall into that trap! If your site is about document storage, there's no point in looking at the results for document retrieval, even if they show up on the report and look more powerful. It's not what your site does.

The idea is to find phrases that DO relate specifically to your site and find ones you might not have thought to include as well as prioritizing the ones that do relate.

HTH!

Another great answer.

I usually dump them all into a spreadsheet and split them into categories - "Web Design", "Web Development", "Flyer Design", "Compliment Slip Design", "Letterhead Design" etc. etc.

Then I simply go through and remove the ones that are obviously not related .... then I forward to the client for them to do the same (always keep a copy of the original in case they delete phrases that ARE related though ... you can always convince them later!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!