• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Competetive Analysis Using Backlink Total

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

So I've read Dan's topics on competitive analysis tips and I get to the part about checking the top 10-20 pages for their backlink total. Then I start reading around the site and find that the link: operator is largely inaccurate in Google. Should I forget about Google backlinks and just check the top 10-20 sites with Yahoo Site Explorer? I'm a bit lost about how to do competitive analysis for backlinks at this point and I'm far from developing the 'instinct' to decide where I can compete.

I've got the SeoQuake add-on installed in Firefox, which gives me PR and Site Age among other things. My niche is extraordinary competitive, so I really need to get this stage done correctly before my re-deisgn.

Thanks.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

Yes, backlink analysis requires you to deal with Yahoo, or someone else's index. SEOmoz has a tool, but I haven't played around with it enough to make any judgments about it.

Obviously, if you're using Yahoo's data, you can't be sure that Google is aware of everything Yahoo is reporting, or even if Yahoo is aware of everything Google is aware of but isn't reporting. But if Google isn't going to share their data, Yahoo's will have to do.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

There are a lot of 3rd party tools that have some good info in terms of backlinks. Check out SEOmoz's LinkScape, as well as MajesticSEO's tool.

Yahoo site explorer is okay too.

Just remember with any of the tools to take the knowledge with a grain of salt.

Moving this to the link building forum as it's not a keyword research question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.