• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ppc Ad For With Our Company Name As Kwp?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hi,

Friday is PPC/adwords day [day when I review and tweek my adwords and other ppc accounts]. I was reviewing the suggestions google had for me (I can take them or leave them sometimes pirate.gif )

Any way, they suggested I advertise with my company name's as the kwp. It gets alot of traffic. I know this be true because of my web analytics. Competitors in my industry do not advertise directly under my kwp. What I mean is, when you do a search for mycompanyname no ppc ads come up. Competitors do however advertise for for the product we offer with my company name in the phrase. KWP= mycompanyname myproduct

The thing is, I have year and a 1/2 of hard data that says that searches with a company's name and the product do not convert to leads (this is true for my industry, may not be true in other industries); so I do not worry about competitors buying product phrases that include our company name.

We have a very well developed company listing on the serps under our company name. I just don't see why I should pay for it. I will end up testing it one of these days to see if it is worth it.

Any opinions. We are a B2B company that sells a technology product that has a long sales cycle (3 months to 2 years plus) and the focus of what I do is lead gen.

Thanks in advance.

DJKay

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

I have a feeling we feel the same way about these things. And similar approaches since I'd probably end up testing it too, even though I'd be 99.99% sure I was wasting time and money to bid on my company name. giggle.gif

I do think it depends upon the market and the strength company brand. But given the details you've laid out, I'd say you're on the right track. I have actually done some user response testing in this area with my little groups over the years, and this is one place where my pre-test theories ended up being proven out 100%. (Usually there's some gray area at least, which tends to happen when grey matter is involved. wink1.gif )

In the test --where I pay people to come in and sit at a computer for a few hours, then try to cover a lot of ground so they're usually not sure what I'm even testing-- I would give people one of two statements, then see what they did with it when searching. So for instance I'd give half of the group a one sentence task that would say something like You need to find some software with graphics editing capabilities and are looking for a good deal then see what the search for. People getting this statement search on keywords contained in or hinted at in the assignment statement.

Conversely, if I simply mention some graphics editing software by changing the task statement to include an example they more often search for the company or software by name. So a task statement of You need to find some software with graphics editing capabilities, such as Adobe's Photoshop, and are looking for a good deal most would include both Abode and Photoshop in their search terms. Completely ignoring offerings like Gimp (a very nice free alternative, thus a darned good deal) and others. The same sort of thing happened on the company name if I dropped Photoshop from the task assignment statement, but then they'd search just by the company name, and give those results as the best option.

In the vast majority of cases people would select an Organic result over a PPC result. And almost every time they would give an official Adobe page as the best option if they were led down that path even a little bit with the task text.

Sooooooo ... If you already have good organic results for both the company and product name I doubt you'll see any improvement from running PPC ads for those brand specific terms. I highly doubt you'll see any improvement in fact.

But like you I'd probably still test it sometime just so that I could see real conversion data.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Randy. Yes, I agree with you...I don't think we will see any improvement. I have other things I need to spend my budget on right now...so I will just put it on a list of things to test revisit it again in a year or so.

BTW...very interesting test..In our case, we don't want to test on price sensitivity. I have done ad copy testing and other testing around this. We don't want the organizations shopping on price...we deliberately write our sem ad copy to reflect high functionality and value.

Any other contributors always welcome. DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!