• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What Do You Prefer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi ...

I have simple questions ...

I have an opportunity to get one of the premium domains listed in here for free earnerslodge dot com

But I don't really know the value of a domain name .. I'll probably choose one cool domain that I want to use in the future ..

But if you were me, what are the criteria you use to choose between these domains ? in other words, how do you set the market value of a domain name ?

Kind Regards.

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

I don't set a whole lot of value in a domain name on it's own. A domain name that's been in use, has content and decent incoming links is a different story. But a brand new domain name? Nice to get exactly what you want but not really worth paying a lot for it.

I have domain names with - in them, .orgs, .infos and other things people might think of as "secondary" or less valuable attributes. But they rank just as well as any non-hyphenated .com domain.

I guess the value is in what it's worth to you.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:43 AM

If you have real plan to use it sometime in the future, the domain name might be worth something. To you.

If you're talking about buying it and hoping someone else will pay you more than you have invested in it later, nah that ain't gonna happen for any of the domains on that list. I didn't see any domain names in the list that are unique enough to have value all by themselves.

#4 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

I see ...

Actually, that's my point as well ..

I'm getting the domain for free (maybe even two or three domains) .. so I'm not paying anything ..

I like Feel The Sound dot com and the short ones like Keylo dot com etc etc ..

I'll choose something that I might use in the future ..

Thank you Randy and Scottie .. Fast and great replies as always!

Kindest Regards.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

It has been my experience that nothing in life is truly free.

I'd be looking for the catch if it were me. As in, does your name end up in the Registrant/Owner field of the WhoIs record? Or are they basically lending the domains to you for a time, but maintaining legal ownership themselves, with the hopes of you getting the domains established and some traffic coming to them so that the can then either sell advertising from "your" site or sell the domain for more once it has confirmed traffic hitting it.

Look into these things before you put a lot of time and effort into developing any business around the domain. Because if you're not the true Owner of Record, with your name and email address in the Registrant field, you're opening yourself up to potential trouble down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!