• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Most Successful Linking Structure/strategy To Rank In Google

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone,

I designed my site in a certain way and I would love to hear feedback and knowledge from you all regarding the most efficient linking structure which should be used on my site in relation to SEO and Google optimization. I would like to hear positive and negative feedback so I can improve.

I will explain this in detail with an example which mirrors my site:

URL: www.mycards.com

From the homepage I have a link to all cards (player/goalie names with internal links): www.mycards.com/cards
From the homepage I have a link to a category page: www.mycards.com/categories/hockey

From the cards page, I have a link to another subpage: www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby
From the category page, I have a link to the subpage: www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby

On the homepage, I have 12 subpages directly linked "top 12"..so i'll have a direct link from the homepage to the subpage www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby for only 12 players.

I would like to SEO the subpages for longtail keywords...www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby for keywords like crosby cards, crosby hockey cards, etc.

With my structure, have the following internal links pointing to my target page www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby:

www.mycards.com/cards
www.mycards.com/categories/hockey
[OPTIONAL]www.mycards.com (only for 12 pages)

So with the given example....should I linkbuild for the following:

www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby
www.mycards.com/cards
www.mycards.com/categories/hockey
www.mycards.com

OR

Should I focus just on the subpage with the keywords in the anchor text: www.mycards.com/cards/sidneycrosby

Is it more efficient to focus on link building across the board on all pages instead of the one subpage...because PR juice will be passed along anyway internally...

The reason I ask, is because i've been analyzing competitors and the sites which rank high for my keywords have NO external links pointing to them at all! I've been link building to my subpage only and i'm not getting anywhere. I believe they've built such a strong linking profile to their homepage and subpages, which allowed them to rank high for those given subpages b/c of the PR passed along.

What do you all think and suggest?

Thank You

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

If the sub-pages have quality content they'll attract outside links all on their own The most you need to do is make sure to provide a link to them in your internal navigation in a way that makes sense for both users and spiders.

But if you spend all of your time and and effort concentrating solely on manipulating internal linkage and the content isn't up to snuff, you're wasting your time. Nobody else will link to the sub-page.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

I'm with Randy.

It's hard to imagine what you'll have worth linking to on those sub-pages of your site. Those are typically not link worthy.

Rather than try to build up links to those, you can get them to your home page which will flow down the PR to the other pages. You can also put together some link worthy content on a blog or resource/library section of your site which then will also flow the PR to the rest of the site.

#4 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

Great, thanks for the responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,