• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Can Rss Feeds Hurt Me?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi all,

I have section of my website for news/stories related to my niche, and it posts content on a daily basis via RSS. I'm wondering, because I currently have accumulated hundreds of pages of content due to this...will this hurt me in any way from an SEO perspective due to duplicated content?

Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,602 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

It is duplicate content. Unless the page you're publishing it on is more authoritative than the page it's originally from, your page is not going to be treated as the canonical version of that content. That doesn't mean it will hurt you though. You just won't get credit for it.

One thing you wrote has me a bit confused though. You have hundreds of pages like this? Are you taking the content you receive from RSS feeds and creating permanent pages from it? Lots of people will use RSS to display the latest news about some field, and that can be useful to your readers, but I don't see the point in permanently publishing that content.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Definitely not a problem.

After all, there is no duplicate content penalty.

#4 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

Great, thanks for the replies and great article Jill.

I have hundreds of pages because I have a wordpress plugin which takes content from an rss feed and makes a post out of it. It's been running for quite some time, so many pages have accumulated. I didn't do this in any way to benefit from an seo perspective, it's in place for the benefit of users to read the latest news from my site directly. It's great to know that I won't get penalized for it!

Thanks again

#5 Mhoram

Mhoram

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

If I understand correctly, you're pulling RSS feeds from other sites and posting the content as blog posts on your own site? Doesn't sound like an SEO problem, but it could be a copyright problem if they aren't your sites or sites that have given you permission.

#6 mporgsoft

mporgsoft

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(Mhoram @ Apr 10 2010, 07:52 PM) View Post
If I understand correctly, you're pulling RSS feeds from other sites and posting the content as blog posts on your own site? Doesn't sound like an SEO problem, but it could be a copyright problem if they aren't your sites or sites that have given you permission.

I do the same on some autoblog I created. I do not think it becomes an issue of copyright as long as you give the author credit. My autoblog tool creates a copy on my site, but also provides a link to the original as well as including the writes bio and name.

#7 newhat

newhat

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(Mhoram @ Apr 10 2010, 07:52 PM) View Post

I do the same on some autoblog I created. I do not think it becomes an issue of copyright as long as you give the author credit. My autoblog tool creates a copy on my site, but also provides a link to the original as well as including the writes bio and name.

I know this is a 3 year old post but the last answer here just ticks me off and I felt a need to correct this poster. (Found the thread in a search just now.)

This absurd reasoning is frequently posted on our forum. So you think that you could copy someone else's hard work, put up your own Adsense to monetize it but so long as you write the author's name and bio (usually buried at the bottom), then it's cool to pocket all the money yourself. How would you feel in reverse? If it was me, I'd say that I don't need your publicity at the bottom of my own article and you can just send me all the cash you've made.

And if that wasn't enough, your entire site could be taken down should an author choose to send a takedown notice to your host.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!