• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirecting An Old Domain To The New Domain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gagan

gagan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi ,

I'm working on a website which is around 5 years old and have more than 20,000 backlinks. But now due to some branding issues we need to change our domain name. We are on page 1 for many of our keywords. So we are bit worried about redirect.

We've created an identical website on our new domain with very slight changes in content. like we have replaced domain 1 with domain 2.

Now, we don't want to lose rankings or traffic which will occur during the transition ( PPC is not possible) So we decided to build links to new domain, so that the new domain can rank well for those keywords before doing a redirect.

Now the question is , how is it possible to get two identical websites on first page of search engine for same keyword.

I know we've to change content but how much? Is there any tool which I can use to find out how much identical they are and how many changes should be made.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Regards

Gagan

Edited by gagan, 07 April 2010 - 08:28 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

You don't want to leave both sites up. If you're changing to the new one, 301-redirects should be sufficient. You will also want to try to get as many of your previous links to the old site now pointing to the new one.

The worst thing you can do is have both sites up and running at the same time.

#3 gagan

gagan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 7 2010, 08:25 AM) View Post
You don't want to leave both sites up. If you're changing to the new one, 301-redirects should be sufficient. You will also want to try to get as many of your previous links to the old site now pointing to the new one.

The worst thing you can do is have both sites up and running at the same time.

Thanks a lot Jill for answering

Ok , that what i was also thinking to re-direct one domain to another and to email other website owners to update links.

Can you tell about the time it usually take to restore the rankings after redirect. Also, we can tell Google about the domain name change using GWT, is there anything similar for Bing too ?

Let me know what you think

Update - Also I found a thread here about duplicate content on Identical sites but with different extenstions . But In our case, both of our domains are .com

http://www.google.co...m...e73c5&hl=en

Looking forward to hear your opinions

Regards

Gagan

Edited by gagan, 07 April 2010 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!