• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect Help, Please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hi, I want to do a redirect with few domain, but I'm pretty much a newb at that.
What I want to do is this:
I have a website that has 5 main pages. their url are as such: domain.com/cool-page.html domain.com/cool-page2.html etc.
What i want is to have my domain cool-domain.com to be redirecting to page domain.com/cool-page.html and REPLACE the URL once it is redirected. So that the page domain.com/cool-page.html will show cool-domain.com. I also want for the page to keep the original URL if the person doesn't come from the new domain. Can anyone help me do this? I would be very thankful smile.gif

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

First we'd need to know how the domains are set up.

Do they each have their own hosting set up? Or are they set up to be aliased to the main domain? And will it make a difference in your hosting costs if they're set up as separate domains now, but you changed them to a alias setup so that only the main domain was paying for hosting.

Also, what type of servers are you on? Windows IIS or a Unix/Linux based system using Apache.

All of that said, if you truly want everything to end up at domain.com/somepage.html but still display as cool-domain.com/ you won't be able to do it via a typical 301 redirect. The redirect is also going to change the displayed URL. So you'd have to have it set up as an alias, then do some URL rewriting.

#3 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Apr 7 2010, 10:22 AM) View Post
First we'd need to know how the domains are set up.

Do they each have their own hosting set up? Or are they set up to be aliased to the main domain? And will it make a difference in your hosting costs if they're set up as separate domains now, but you changed them to a alias setup so that only the main domain was paying for hosting.

Also, what type of servers are you on? Windows IIS or a Unix/Linux based system using Apache.

All of that said, if you truly want everything to end up at domain.com/somepage.html but still display as cool-domain.com/ you won't be able to do it via a typical 301 redirect. The redirect is also going to change the displayed URL. So you'd have to have it set up as an alias, then do some URL rewriting.

Thanks for always helping my, Randy smile.gif

Domains do not have their own hosting. I have a HostGator 10/month hosting, so i have 1 main domain and the rest are add-on domains. I'm on a Linus server, since thats why hostgator uses.

And I think I explained it wrong, I want the url to stay the same when the person clicks on it from another page or types the long url in. But if the user enters the short, new URL, i want it to show the NEW URL, and not the long one. I hope you can help me smile.gif

#4 marketsitepro

marketsitepro

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

You should have your domain provider FOWARD and MASK your extra domain name.

So lets say you have 3 domain names and 1 hosting account.

1) main-domain[com] (<---for your main site)
2) addon-domain[com]
3) addon-domain2[com]

Now you have an internal page:

main-domain[com]/cool-page.html (<----you do not want to give this full url)

So you can forward addon-domain[com] to main-domain[com]/cool-page.html(So now you can type in both and it will go to the same URL)

OR...
You can forward AND MASK addon-domain[com] to main-domain[com]/cool-page.html (So now you can type in both and it will go to the same URL, however the address will stay addon-domain[com] and "mask" the real URL string)

hope it actually answered your question

If so, it is not a redirect or a rewrite, just a simple forward (which is usually fast and FREE! through your domain name company)

#5 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(marketsitepro @ Apr 7 2010, 06:00 PM) View Post
So you can forward addon-domain[com] to main-domain[com]/cool-page.html(So now you can type in both and it will go to the same URL)

OR...
You can forward AND MASK addon-domain[com] to main-domain[com]/cool-page.html (So now you can type in both and it will go to the same URL, however the address will stay addon-domain[com] and "mask" the real URL string)

hope it actually answered your question

If so, it is not a redirect or a rewrite, just a simple forward (which is usually fast and FREE! through your domain name company)

Thats the thing, I DON'T want them to go to the same URL. I want it to go to the URL I enter.
So if I enter domain.com, i want it to go to maindomain.com/cool-page.html BUT display domain.com!!! smile.gif
and if I enter maindomain.com/cool-page.html i want it to got to maindomain.com/cool-page.html, BUT DO NOT display domain.com

#6 marketsitepro

marketsitepro

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(andruha @ Apr 7 2010, 06:44 PM) View Post
Thats the thing, I DON'T want them to go to the same URL. I want it to go to the URL I enter.
So if I enter domain.com, i want it to go to maindomain.com/cool-page.html BUT display domain.com!!! smile.gif
and if I enter maindomain.com/cool-page.html i want it to got to maindomain.com/cool-page.html, BUT DO NOT display domain.com

Right so you will want to use the FORWARD and MASK

When I wrote: "So now you can type in both and it will go to the same URL, however the address will stay addon-domain[com] and "mask" the real URL string"

I meant, that it will stay addon-domain[com] only if you originally typed in that domain name. So if you first type in addon-domain[com] and then move to another page within the site then it will still stay addon-domain[com]

However, if you typed in the actual URL main-domain[com]/cool-page.html out, it will not show addon-domain[com] but the main-domain[com]/cool-page.html

*Keep in mind, this is all just a theory. I have no idea if it actually works or not. I'm just guessing
crossfingers.gif haha

Edited by marketsitepro, 07 April 2010 - 07:18 PM.

#7 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(marketsitepro @ Apr 7 2010, 07:06 PM) View Post
Right so you will want to use the FORWARD and MASK

Ok, thanks.
One more question.
Will this pass on link juice? i currently have a 301 redirect and i don't want to loose the links that point to the add-on domain.

#8 marketsitepro

marketsitepro

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(andruha @ Apr 7 2010, 07:12 PM) View Post
Ok, thanks.
One more question.
Will this pass on link juice? i currently have a 301 redirect and i don't want to loose the links that point to the add-on domain.

Links do not pass full value on 301 redirects. How much gets transferred is speculation. DO not let anyone tell you that 'link juice' will not transfer on a 301 redirect. some (<--key word here) of it will.

As far as your domain forwarding, it brings up a lot of questions, hopefully my peers in this forum can answer.

MASKING can be considered as cloaking. If Google does not see it that way, then it may read it as DUPLICATE CONTENT.
You will now have the same content with two different URLS.

The good news is that I have tried it (for forwarding only- not masking)you should not have a problem, within forwarding a domain name, Google indexed my client's site onto the 2nd page after 2 weeks! I just do not know how MASKING WILL affect it.

good luck

#9 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(marketsitepro @ Apr 7 2010, 07:36 PM) View Post
Links do not pass full value on 301 redirects. How much gets transferred is speculation. DO not let anyone tell you that 'link juice' will not transfer on a 301 redirect. some (<--key word here) of it will.

As far as your domain forwarding, it brings up a lot of questions, hopefully my peers in this forum can answer.

MASKING can be considered as cloaking. If Google does not see it that way, then it may read it as DUPLICATE CONTENT.
You will now have the same content with two different URLS.

The good news is that I have tried it (for forwarding only- not masking)you should not have a problem, within forwarding a domain name, Google indexed my client's site onto the 2nd page after 2 weeks! I just do not know how MASKING WILL affect it.

good luck

Thanks for heads up... but now i don't know what to do. lol
I might just leave a 301 redirect and forget about this sad.gif

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(andruha @ Apr 7 2010, 08:59 PM) View Post
Thanks for heads up... but now i don't know what to do. lol
I might just leave a 301 redirect and forget about this sad.gif

Good idea. That's what I would recommend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.