• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Link Building Campaign - Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

Hey everyone,

I need help and suggestions on how to execute this. I have a few scenarios and questions lined up.

1) I'm currently trying to rank one site (homepage) for one keyword only. If I build a ton of links for this homepage with the same anchor text from all of the links, will google see this as spam? The site is only a couple of pages so I can't spread them apart too many pages. Should I alternate the keywords in my campaign, even though I primarily want to rank for the one only?

2) I have another site which has tons of pages but i'm focusing on about 10-12 subpages and the homepage. Same idea...should I spread my link building on a daily basis across all of the pages instead of the one and alternate the anchor texts?

3) If I build 10-15 PR3-PR5 links per day per site...will Google see this as spam? Would I ever get penalized for building too many links in a given timeframe?

4) If I receive 4-5 links on a PR5 site for example and all of them point to the same domain but different subpages, would any of the links get penalized? Are there any rules against multiple link building to the same domain from the same source page?

Thanks everyone!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,844 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

In the hundreds of thousands of links that are prcessed EVERY HOUR the chances of them caring about a handful of links to a particular page/site is remote.

You really need to think BIGGER.

Matt cutts makes a new post and it will have hundreds of links before the metaphorical ink is metaphorically dry on the metaphorical paper.

Post something really useful at Digg (unlikely of course but it used to happen) or Technorati etc and thousands links could be pointing at your page in seconds.

Do any of those things mean your site will be "penalised".

Instead of simply believing the fanciful clap trap by "experts" try using a bit of common sense and logic instead and LOOK AROUND at the contradictory EVIDENCE that shows how most of them are talking complete bollocks!!!!

#3 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

hmm interesting..I needed that, thanks! I kind of had that feeling for the number of links, but if I create a ton of links with the exact same anchor text, I maybe thought google would see this as a form of spamming...

So many people recommend alternating the anchor text to make it look like the links are naturally being generated...

Do you believe in this at all, slightly? Or should I stay focused on the one anchor text if that's what I want to rank for?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

1) I'm currently trying to rank one site (homepage) for one keyword only.

Why would you want to optimize for only one keyword phrase?

That's your first mistake and why you're not sure how to proceed. If you were planning to optimize the home page for 3-6 or so keyword phrases, then you wouldn't have a problem with what to use for anchor text in links pointing to the page.

If I build a ton of links for this homepage with the same anchor text from all of the links, will google see this as spam?

It depends on the links you get. The scenario that Chrishirst pointed out, i.e., Digg links or other authoritative ones will of course not be a problem.

But how do you plan to get so many links so quickly to your site? Are you buying them? Are you spamming blogs and forums and getting low quality signature links? Are you getting low-quality directory links that anyone could get?

If those are your methods, then yeah, they probably won't count for much and the search engines might think you're spamming (cuz in a sense, you are).

If you actually get high quality links from real people who love your site and naturally link to it, then the anchor text, number or time frame is of no consequence.

In other words, not all links are created equal and the search engines (especially Google) are pretty good at telling them apart. This is not to say that low quality links don't also work, they just don't work as well and take a lot more brute force, as well as thousands of them to do the same thing as a handful of high quality true votes for your site.

#5 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hi Jill,

For one of my specific sites, only 1 keyword phrase gets a lot of hits. The others don't get so much (xxx), which is why I was solely targeting the one main keyword phrase.

My competitors which rank in the top 5 have a bunch of PR3-5 blog commented and forum links. I was thinking about using them for my site as well in addition to natural link building which I'm attempting to do. Wouldn't this type of link building be better than no link building at all? This where my ultimate question came into place about penalties. I'm assuming b/c my competitors are ranked high that these links aren't harmful but I'm not sure how long they're been at the top...maybe it's a temporary ranking until they get penalized (this is what I thought before Chrishirst posted)..

#6 marketsitepro

marketsitepro

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

1) I'm currently trying to rank one site (homepage) for one keyword only. If I build a ton of links for this homepage with the same anchor text from all of the links, will google see this as spam? The site is only a couple of pages so I can't spread them apart too many pages. Should I alternate the keywords in my campaign, even though I primarily want to rank for the one only?

You should alternate the anchor text because you want to rank for alternate version of that keyphrase.

If you has a keyword: Las Vegas Something [<---I can't think of a better filler]

If you rank #1 for 'Las Vegas Something' then good job, but it doesn't guarantee you rank well for:

Something Las Vegas
Las Vegas Somethings
Somethings in Las Vegas
Vegas Something
Vegas Somethings
Something Vegas
Somethings Vegas

So you would miss out on a lot of traffic.

HOWEVER, if you are optimizing for a one-word keyword like 'cheese'

1) Then OK you do not have to use alternate versions (because you cant)
2) Good luck, because you will need all the help you can get

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) If I build 10-15 PR3-PR5 links per day per site...will Google see this as spam? Would I ever get penalized for building too many links in a given timeframe?
It is my opinion only, that you will not get penalized for excessive link building, however I do not think it will help you to do more than necessary. If you really can add 10-15 links EVERYDAY until you become #1, then you should definitely do it.

4) If I receive 4-5 links on a PR5 site for example and all of them point to the same domain but different subpages, would any of the links get penalized? Are there any rules against multiple link building to the same domain from the same source page?

Here is the mostly what will get you penalized (the rest may just not help your campaign)

Avoid hidden text or hidden links.

Don't use cloaking or sneaky redirects.

Don't send automated queries to Google.

Don't load pages with irrelevant keywords.

Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.

Don't create pages with malicious behavior, such as phishing or installing viruses, trojans, or other badware.

Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.

If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

For one of my specific sites, only 1 keyword phrase gets a lot of hits. The others don't get so much (xxx), which is why I was solely targeting the one main keyword phrase.

How do you know this?

It doesn't make any sense. Every site I've ever seen gets found for hundreds of keyword phrases because everyone searches differently. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to not concentrate on one pet phrase. Seriously. Don't do it. It doesn't make any sense at all.

My competitors which rank in the top 5 have a bunch of PR3-5 blog commented and forum links.

Seriously? The actual pages that their comment spam is on is actually on PR3 or PR5 page? Or is the home page a PR3 or PR5? Cuz the only page that counts is the one where their comment spam is located. The one that links to them. It's pretty rare to find a blog or forum post that has a PR5. And even PR3 ones aren't too common.

Wouldn't this type of link building be better than no link building at all?

Sure. But that doesn't say much.

I'm assuming b/c my competitors are ranked high that these links aren't harmful but I'm not sure how long they're been at the top...maybe it's a temporary ranking until they get penalized

They won't get penalized for it. But you could totally kick their butts if you created something amazing that people wanted to link to just because, and you got actual real votes for your sites. Then who would have the last laugh?

#8 ddzc

ddzc

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the detailed response marketsitepro!

Hi Jill...see bold.

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 5 2010, 08:10 PM) View Post
How do you know this?

It doesn't make any sense. Every site I've ever seen gets found for hundreds of keyword phrases because everyone searches differently. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to not concentrate on one pet phrase. Seriously. Don't do it. It doesn't make any sense at all.

- I actually had a site ranked #1 for tons of keywords for a good 2 months but my ranking has been taken away and I'm trying to get it back. All of the traffic came from Google through tons of keywords. All of my traffic matched the google adwords suggestion tool. Out of 475 different key phrases searched...just 1 keyword was getting 60% of the traffic. For some reason, the site ranked for the others as well. About 20% of the other keywords were untargetted. This is primarily why I wanted to focus mostly on the 1 keyword, but I will take your advise and spread them apart.

Seriously? The actual pages that their comment spam is on is actually on PR3 or PR5 page? Or is the home page a PR3 or PR5? Cuz the only page that counts is the one where their comment spam is located. The one that links to them. It's pretty rare to find a blog or forum post that has a PR5. And even PR3 ones aren't too common.

- The actual blog and forum page has PR3-5 according to my tools. 85% of them were dofollow as well. I know the quality isn't great (none are related to the niche) and the backlinks will eventually be removed or the PR may fade as time passed...I'm aware of these things, but if they can at least help me a little, I would like to use them.

Sure. But that doesn't say much.

They won't get penalized for it. But you could totally kick their butts if you created something amazing that people wanted to link to just because, and you got actual real votes for your sites. Then who would have the last laugh?

- Your absolutely right about that! The problem is, I have a particular business which is very hard to obtain natural links because the top sites have been around for ages and are always talked about. It's hard to differentiate the content/features as well b/c of the nature of the business...theirs not much else which can be done with it which hasn't been done already. Theirs many variables which come into play and don't really want to bore people with in this thread...but if I can get an edge some other way on top of gaining links naturally, I would like to go that route to get something back with all the time and money I've already invested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!