• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Web Marketing Report/template

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Is there a common template/format that professionals use for providing weekly/monthly status/marketing/SEO reports to clients? Anyone care to share one with me or point me to a good source? Thx.

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

This post is receiving no love. Shame...

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

I would give it some love Bob, cept I don't have any such reports because I don't do that kind of work for clients anymore. And even towards the end of my time doing that I stopped doing typical rank and/or traffic reports.

Traffic trends are easily seen in the web statistics of Google Analytics or whatever stats program you use. Rank is just too nebulous to be all that useful as a metric. If I had to do rank reports in today's world with Google's dominance I'd use a little tool like the Google Rank Extractor one I developed for my own use and released into the wild. That's not even a shameless plug since I make exactly zero from making it available. lol.gif Sure GRE doesn't offer complete data (no tool does) but at least it offers spot on accurate data for those hits it records. Accurate in as what the client saw, not what I may see when performing the same search from a different system with different personalization from a different location.

And of all of the stuff available what do I personally find most helpful?

Well, one of the first things I set up for every e-commerce site I create is a spreadsheet. Each day I record the number of sales and gross receipts. It's a simple little thing really. No ranking data at all in it. Just dates, sales and money made. And it's the first thing I work on every single day.

For newer sites I can tell at a glance whether things are improving or not. It's easy to see. For older sites where I have a year or years of history I can not only tell you whether things are improving, staying steady or headed downhill, but I can give you an estimate of how much money I'll make from any of my sites for any week or month of the year. With seasonality automatically factored in.

From a business perspective knowing what income to expect is the most important bit of data to have at your fingertips IMHO. Because if something doesn't reach its expected level it gives me a quick heads up that I need to dig a bit deeper. While if things are stable or improving I save myself the time of doing the digging for no reason.

That's probably not very helpful to you, unless you can convince your clients to let you see the sales data. But if you can get your hands on it I encourage you to take the time to set up a spreadsheet and update it religiously. That way when (not if) a client comes to you grousing about ranking fluctuations you can counter it with the fact that the site is making them more money. Money and cash flow is always more important than the rather useless metric of Rankings is to real business people. wink1.gif

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

Randy, I see certain tasks (checklist style) as actions you might do to help bring traffic to the site:

expand on title tag and description
strengthen content, make it linkworthy
create landing pages as necessary
adwords
take link building action (directories, articles, coupons, bloggin)
engage in social media

Then I see results. Trend type results which may be meaningful if it correlates to number and dollar amount of sales (just as you emphasized).

It's a dual edged sword - a combination of an activities and statistics. It's nice to be able to correlate an activity to a result. See a site's activity/traffic grow parallel with inbound links or a particular inbound link is useful, especially if the trend translates to dollars and cents. Without making this overly complicated, I made up a fairly simple spreadsheet that can be used in combination with an activities list, both dated.

Thx

#5 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

bobmeetin those checklist elements are more what you would include in an initial SEO audit of a site.

Just following on from what Randy mentioned, as someone who has been on both sides of the SEO fence i.e. client receiving a monthly summary and an SEO analyst producing a summary, I can tell you that a basic summary report can get very irrelevant and a waste of time. When I used to receive summaries as the client , we would receive keyword lists with traffic, rankings for keywords, total visits, total average bounce rate, etc. initially we liked the fact that traffic was growing and we were ranking for keywords (even though we hadn't asked to rank for most of them!). But eventually it dawned on us that the reports weren't really targeted at our business and our bottom line. What we really wanted was a report that showed how much money we were making from our SEO efforts, so no keyword reports, no traffic reports, no bounce rates, just a report that showed an increase of blue widgets sold per month and how it was attributed to our SEO efforts.
So herein lies the problem with monthly summaries, they don't really tell you much and only serve to try and justify an SEOs large expense. Most clients have access to Google Analytics or some other stats package, so they will already know about keywords, visits etc so I don't see the point in providing this kind of info.

Personally I feel that summary reports should reflect the goals and objectives of the web site such as how many forms were filled out, how many widgets were sold, how many newsletters were registered for etc. You can create summary reports based around these metrics and they make much more sense to the client. e.g. The article on blue widget holders written last month has generated X amount of traffic for 'widget holders' and those visitors then went on to purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!