• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Change Page Url...would It Be Beneficial?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

Before I get started explaining, upfront I will say I think I we should just keep the existing page url and change the content & tags but I am open and want to elicit a few opinions.

I need to change the content on a page on our web site. To use an example, lets say that we had a page talking about retainers [things you put in a person's mouth to keep their teeth straight]. So let's call the existing page, retainers.htm. In terms of traffic, its the third highest page in regards to page views. There are over 600 back links to this page [retainers.htm].

Now, we must change the page because we don't sell ready made retainers [we were in this business along time ago (10 years ago), but its taken the CEO a number of years to come to the realization that we don't sell ready made retainers-(have seen no revenue from this business line for years)] but we do sell the ability manufacturer custom made retainers. We do have a very profitable business line that manufacturers custom retainers, so let's say for the sake of the example, after doing all the keyword phrase research, you could have a url that said

retainer-manufacturing.htm

Would it be beneficial to go to the mydomain.com/retainer-manufacturing.htm from retainers.htm (of course would use a 301 to redirect traffic)?

Again, I think not, but wanted to elicit opinions. Thanks in advance.

DJKay

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

If you are asking if it would benefit you from an SEO point of view to change the url, the answer is no.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

I would say that it's definitely better to 301-redirect that old URL to the new one, rather than 404'ing it.

Or just use the retainers.htm URL for your new page.

#4 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

Scotty, yes, I am asking if the site will benefit (is it better) if we change that maydomain.com/retainers.htm to url to mydomain.com/retainer-manufacturing.htm

And yes, I agree that we should probably just keep retainers.htm but more opinions appreciated.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

I think you need a really good reason to change an established page's URL, especially taking into account the likelihood that (assuming you believe Matt Cutts) you're going to lose some of the page's PR through a 301.

#6 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

Yes, I did read that article, which was partly why I feel its better to leave it be and use retainers.htm...

#7 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

We are moving forward with keeping the same page url. Thanks for confirming my decision. DJKay

#8 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

cheers.gif

#9 marketsitepro

marketsitepro

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hi DJKay,

3 questions:
1) What are you currently ranked for /retainers.htm?
2) "In terms of traffic, its the third highest page in regards to page views" Is this from direct traffic? or it is the 3rd highest hit page because they click on it from your homepage.
3) are you geo-targeting or is this a nationwide manufacturing

The fact that your URL has the word 'retainer' is still good and still relevant to 'maufacturing retainers'

#10 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Hi MarketSitePro,

1) What do you mean by "ranked"? I am thinking you mean in the SERPS. If that is true, then yes, we first page SERPS for the phrases its currently optimized now.

2) 2/3 is direct (Engines/online portals, other information repositories where people search for these things); 1/3% is from other pages on the site. Over the years, we generated leads from this page to sell "retainers" off the shelf, but the sales team never followed up on them because our business is really in the other area (described previously) Its a matter of the owner and Sales Director not realizing they are two separate and distinct businesses and business models to run and thinking we can do everything, when we can't.

I believe that if we focus & optimize the page on a current, revenue producing business line we now do regularly, we will make more sales than we already are in this area, i.e. retainer manufacturing

3) We are not geo targeting, we sell our product and services all over the world...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.