• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Tracking Conversions & Traffic From Commission Junction

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MIDA

MIDA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

I'm kind of surprised this issue has created as much confusion as it has - we want to know, in total, who is sending us traffic and sales. Specifically how much revenue.

We use Commission Junction where many publisher use our links and banner ads to sell our products for a commission.

I'm confused when I look in Google Analytics and see those same publishers showing up in the results as sending us traffic and sales (I have conversion tracking on and can see the sales that result).

I see numbers like:

Publisher A: $5000 sales

...when I look in the CJ tracking panel for the same publisher i might see:

Publisher A: $10,000 sales

Should I assume these are somehow duplicates or should I combine the numbers and assume Publisher A has sent us $15,000 in sales - some via Commission Junction and some from other URLs with no redirects?

Thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Do you affiliate links have Google tracking codes appended to them?

I'm not sure how CJ does it these days, but if it's just redirecting to your home page via the affiliate link, Google Analytics may not be able to capture the affiliate information.

#3 MIDA

MIDA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 29 2010, 05:10 PM) View Post
Do you affiliate links have Google tracking codes appended to them?

I'm not sure how CJ does it these days, but if it's just redirecting to your home page via the affiliate link, Google Analytics may not be able to capture the affiliate information.

Hello Jill, no the links do not have Google tracking codes but that would be a good thing to take up with CJ. I can show you an example of a link - taking out our domain, if that's OK:

www.dpbolvw.net/96117mu2-u1HLJNMNOOHJIPKKOJQ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ourdomain.com%2FProductDetails.asp%3FProductCode%3Dfairfaxjanuary%26click%3D13762&cjsku=fairfaxjanuary

This looks like a redirect to me.

EDIT: I signed up as a publisher and can see that they offer Javascript and HMTL links - this could be causing the discrepancy. Perhaps one tracks and the other doesn't? Still, both types of links are from scrambled domains that are neither "www.publisher.com" or www.cj.com - so I'm wondering if Google drops that tracking. I tried putting the nonsensical CJ domains in GA to see if they register but no results.

Thanks!

Edited by Jill, 30 March 2010 - 08:05 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

There's no way to tell by looking at the URL. What happens if you throw it into a server header checker?

And what is the ultimate URL one lands on (sees in their browser) when they use the URL?

#5 MIDA

MIDA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 30 2010, 09:06 AM) View Post
There's no way to tell by looking at the URL. What happens if you throw it into a server header checker?

And what is the ultimate URL one lands on (sees in their browser) when they use the URL?

embarrassed.gif What is a server header checker? If you add the URL to a browser address bar, it looks like a redirect - it pauses briefly and goes on to the destination URL.

Like this:

www.publisher.com > click on ad > get the URL above > pauses in browser for a sec > goes to www.advertiser.com

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,597 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(MIDA @ Mar 30 2010, 12:07 PM) View Post
embarrassed.gif What is a server header checker?

The one I usually use is WebBug.

After you install it, be sure to select HTTP 1.1 (it will default to 1.0, which is buggy). Enter the starting URL and it will tell you what the server header response is. You can tell from that what kind of redirect it is.

HTH! smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

I think the main problem, regardless of redirect, is that there's no way for Google Analytics to capture the referral information.

#8 MIDA

MIDA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

I did some additional testing and it seems that Jill is correct, that Google Analytics is not picking up any data at all using Commission Junction's regular JavaScript or HTML links. The link has to call out Commission Junction - or actually quickly send the user to their server to capture information, then on to the destination URL. I tested a handful of smaller affiliates who only use one web site to deliver ads. None of their domains were logged by GA. One some very large publishers seem to be sending traffic using stripped down URLs - those are registering in GA. Tricky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!