• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Optimizing A Site That Services Multiple Cities

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LiveAndLearn

LiveAndLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hello,

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some tips on the best ways to optimize our site for multiple areas. We have one location BUT service multiple areas. Think of being located in a smaller town within a major city but wanting to show up for searches related to your business in all the surrounding areas.

I am trying to figure out if our site needs pages targeting each (there are 6 areas of importance) area and the different services we offer or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Any tips on the subject or links to related resources would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post!

- Live-And-Learn

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Hi Live-And-Learn-

Generally, it's pretty easy to create location specific pages, and yes, that's the best way to go, IMO. You might also put in your footer something along the lines of "Serving the North - East - West - South areas. " It's an easy way to get those location names on the page.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

Google AdWords is also a great way to geotarget specific cities.

#4 LiveAndLearn

LiveAndLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Scottie @ Mar 23 2010, 11:47 PM) View Post
Hi Live-And-Learn-

Generally, it's pretty easy to create location specific pages, and yes, that's the best way to go, IMO. You might also put in your footer something along the lines of "Serving the North - East - West - South areas. " It's an easy way to get those location names on the page.

Hey Scottie!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I figured that was the best way to go about doing it. Do you think one page for each area that talks about all of the services we offer will do the trick, or should we have multiple pages targeting area + service?

Thanks again Scottie!

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

As always, it depends on your business. If you have more content, it's always better to get it out there. If you are struggling to come up with something unique about each area, one page should be fine. If you can get links from local businesses to those specific pages, even better.

Good luck with it!

#6 marketsitepro

marketsitepro

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hi LiveAndLearn,

Since you only have one location yet multiple service areas it is best to use Adwords to geotarget. In addition, you can also place targeting in the title:

Widget Service for NW (City)

However, if you want to optimize your actual website for an Organic campaign, then it is best to have your targeted areas separated.
You should serperate them in folders for each area, but this would require more content. If you have a lot of content for each area, then sub domains would be the way to go.

Folder:
liveandlearnwidgets[com]/service-area (this gets the geotarget keyword in the url)

sub domain:
servicearea.liveandlearnwidgets[com]

This is the most optimal, but if you do not have much to invest in that type of campaign, then it is BEST to optimize for the whole city and then do what scottie suggests with 'servicing these areas...." by having your service areas in your content, Search engines may even pick up on it.

Lastly, do not forget to sign up to Google local business listing and verify your business. Big hint* signing up to other online yellow pages will help you with ranking.

Hope this helps.

#7 bayside

bayside

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hello all!

Wanted to first say thanks, this thread has helped me as I'm in a similar situation myself. I hope LiveAndLearn doesn't mind me piggybacking here with a couple of follow up questions...

I'm a service based business (photographer) working in dual markets, but do not have a traditional brick n mortar - all work is done on-location. In my case, my two markets are actually 400+ miles apart!

I'm looking for input on the best approach for an organic campaign here...

I've considered having two sites, one for each city, with almost identical content (portfolio, bio, etc.). But each would have a unique domain and the location/contact info would be localized. It seems this would be best from the clients perspective - both in terms of usability and in that they would be contacting a "local" business in either case (I think this is fine ethically as my time is split between the two anyway).

But from an SEO perspective, are there any benefits to that approach vs. having a single site and using subdomains per marketsitepro's advice? If so, are the benefits significant enough to go through the extra cost & content management hoops of having two sites?

Similar to marketsitepro's advice, what about using two domain names, both pointing to the same site (one via 301)? E.g. "www.johnsmithphotographycitya.com" and "www.johnsmithphotographycityb.com."

It seems to me the biggest downside to a single site approach (in addition to any potential SEO downsides) is the lack of coming across as local in both cities. Even with localized subdomains, there would only be one phone # and 800's aren't an option (too corporate). I know there are *many* multi-market fashion, architectural, etc. photographers out there, but that's not my niche and my gut tells me it'll matter...

Thanks so much!!! This is my 1st post so thanks for bearing with me.

Cheers!

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

My opinion would be one site and you would just showcase the different areas where you have worked and can work. They can be different pages if there's enough content for that or not.

It doesn't sound like in your case that subdomains are warranted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.