• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seasonal Keywords

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of re-designing an application that I built and am trying to do SEO the right way during the design process. My application allows users to create fantasy football cheat sheets online using drag and drop. For those that don't know, fantasy football cheat sheets are glorified player rankings that have lots of other information that is useful at a fantasy football draft. After configuring their sheets, users can then generate a nice, printable sheet to take to their fantasy football draft. Unfortunately, as I've done my research I've discovered that this niche is completely and overly-saturated, but I know of no other site that offers what mine does, for free (but that issue is for another day).

So, I've done a bit of keyword research as outlined in the articles by Jill, using Google Adwords Keyword Tool. I think I've nailed down the phrases that best suit what my site offers, but it's tough to be 100% sure because the vast, vast majority of keyword searches occur from July to September as fantasy football season heats up. I'm pretty certain that the most-searched phrases right now will also be the most-searched phrases in July, as the top phrases are the most obvious ones, but I have no real way of proving so because Google only provides keywords for the previous month.

I have a feeling that if I invest in a service like Keyword Tracker, I'm just going to find that the numbers I see in February are going to be proportional to what I see in July. On top of that, my site currently offers very, very little content as it is more of an application than anything else, so I'm only going to be targeting the most obvious terms initially.

How important is it that I get search data from the months when searches in this genre are most prevalent? Is it really worth an investment for a site with very little content?

Thanks

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

You are probably right- while the search volume is likely to vary, the terms used are probably somewhat consistent. And I can't imagine that there are such a wide variety of pinpoint phrases out there that you'd have to target a specific one or miss it.

People search with so many different phrases, and yours is an oversaturated area so aiming for more natural language phrases is likely to bring you more visitors over a wider variety of searches.

In other words, if everyone is targeting the "top phrases" you'd be doing well to use a good assortment of the same words, mixed up throughout your copy. Focus on the overall theme and common words instead of measuring your rankings for a specific phrase or two.

Good luck with it!

#3 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thanks Scottie. I'll continue on with my keyword research then move on to some in-depth competetor analysis. Things are already looking scary on the competetor front so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming weeks.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

Piling on...

This is one of those situations where I find Google Trends to be quite helpful. Even though it doesn't give exact search numbers, you can take what you're seeing at just about any point of the year to extrapolate what should be the reality when high season hits. Plus, just as valuable to me, it lets me know when during the year I need to have everything in place to take best advantage or the natural cycles of a market. And because they now have years worth of data can even give you large hints whether a market is expanding or falling off.

#5 SidneySilas

SidneySilas

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

Here’s a helpful list of Easter-related keyword searches which have gained popularity on NZS.com over the last week:

easter activities
easter ideas
easter baking
easter recipes
easter crafts
meaning of easter
how to make easter eggs
easter cards
easter symbols
easter bun recipe

#6 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

HI SidneySilas-

Just so you know, signature links aren't seen by the search engines here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!