• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Quality Score Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lenwood

lenwood

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi All, I've been doing SEO for a few years, and recently am peering into SEM. I have an academic question about AdWords campaigns. I'm not solving a problem, and I think I know the answer. I'm hoping that a dialogue here will solidify my understanding.

How important is quality score to the success of a campaign? I understand that you want them to be high, but at what point do you know that the campaign needs attention? If a campaign has been running for more than a couple of months and the highest scores are in the 6-7 range, is that a flag? Or is it a common practice to keep focusing on the campaign until it shows many 10's?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

How important is quality score to the success of a campaign?

It can be very important.

The better your Quality Score --as compared to other ads running in the market sector-- the better your ad placement. Your Quality Score can even get your ad placed higher in the roll than other ads that are set to a higher bid rate.

But, and it's a big but, it's not strictly a linear thing. Which leads us to the 2nd part of your question.

Does each ad need to have a 10 Quality Score?

Typically, no it doesn't. The only time a 10 would be required would be those situations where you've got some competitors in your space also using Adwords that had high Quality Scores themselves. There are very, very few markets where this is the case in my experience.

Instead, think of QS much like you do SEO. Just like with SEO you're competing with what other sites are doing where your Quality Score is concerned. So if everybody else sucks it's not going to take much in the way of Quality Score to best them. Conversely if you're competition are on top of their Adwords game, you'll need to strive for that 9 or 10 QS to get benefit from it.

#3 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

It's definitely worth while trying to optimise your campaign to obtain the highest QS possible, since if you want to get the highest ad rank for the lowest CPC a high QS is imperative. By improving the factors that determine the QS such as ad relevancy this will improve CTR which in turn will improve QS and also your ad rank. You can therefore maintain or increase your ad position even by reducing CPC.

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

Good answers from Randy and EddyGonzalez. In a nutshell:
  • Your Quality Score is most important when considered relative to your competitors for a given keyword.
  • The higher your Quality Score, the less you have to pay to achieve a given position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!