• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Multilanguage Webshop (magento) And Domain Name(s)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jaap

Jaap

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hello,

What's you guys opinion and advise for the following situation.

I developed an e-commerce website a few years ago, which runs pretty well... Overall sales are good. Now, we're going "more proffesional". We're leaving osCommerce and are implementing a new webshop in Magento.

The webshop is a "sub site" of my client. so its in domain.nl/webshop
This is a dutch domain, but we've also got customers from belgium. As some might now Belgium is both dutch and french.

The normal website (domain.nl) will only be in dutch, but we will be making the webshop available in dutch, french and english (maybe even german in the future). But the thing is, I'm wondering what the best way would be. I'm considering 2 options.

1. Have every language behind domain.nl and a language selector on the shop.
Dutch would be domain.nl/webshop
French would be domain.nl/webshop/fr
English would be domain.nl/webshop/en
- Maybe I'll get the domains to and 301 redirect them to the corresponding language above.

2. Have dutch on domain.nl and for all other languages only have the webshop on a single domain.
Dutch would be domain.nl/webshop
French would be domain.fr
Belgium/Dutch would be domain.be (with the possibility to select either dutch or french).
English would be domain.co.uk

I Hope I made myself clear, and am really looking forward to your advise.

Best,

Jaap

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

It's probably not going to make a huge difference one way or the other Jaap.

As a very general rule the URL address doesn't matter as much as how the pages link to each other. So if you're making the language versions available in a way that is sensible for real people the spiders and search engines are usually just fine with it.

The only place you might see a difference in rankings is if the ccTLD's (country code top level domains) end up giving a small boost for local, in country searches. But even then I doubt you'll see much difference if you 301 redirect the ccTLD domain over to the language version on the main site itself.

If it were me I'd do whichever is the easiest to maintain. Which is probably going to mean a single site approach with redirects of the ccTLD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!