• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Seo, How Did You Get Into It?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Narcotic

Narcotic

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Legendary reply, also made my day.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

giggle.gif not sure how I missed this, Mooro, when first posted! Nice.

#18 mrzee

mrzee

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

After spending 17 years working in pharmacy, I had got to the point where enough was enough. I managed to score a copywriting job through a friends introduction and a lucky interview and then gradually sidestepped into SEO. Now after doing the job for a few years I am still continually learning new things.

#19 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

Hey morro,

I guess we've spoken before meeting on HRF then giggle.gif

#20 Mooro

Mooro

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hey a familiar face! Cool!

#21 freeflyer

freeflyer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

spent ten years as a professional sound engineer, bands, musicals etc, before getting fed up of the hours and jacking it all in. My dad ran a very small software support biz, so i started doing websites on the side. Five years later, i started working for an SEO company, and realised that the bosses of such companies want everything done exactly as they want it and pretty much dismiss anything you have to say. I left after a month.

I now run a small SEO/analysis company offering onsite and conversion improvment, mainly with e-commerce. I no longer design or build websites (apart from the odd one). Just me at the mo, but looking at expanding in the next year, as i'm just too busy.

#22 Diane22

Diane22

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

When I first got started online, I had seen and heard of SEO, but it took sometime for me to realize that it was something that I was going to have to educate my about. Has that ever happened to anyone else? Where you see something, but end up realizing that it's something that you needed a long time ago.

But hey, I'm somewhat of a genius when it comes to SEO now... LOL. smile.gif

#23 Marina

Marina

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi!
Just trying to promote my site.
I spent a lot on SEOs services. Now I think that it is better to do things myself or to know more to be able to check what other/s are doing on my site...
Marina

#24 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

I started in traditional direct marketing (catalogs, post cards, direct mail pieces) doing, recency frequency monetary analysis, lifetime value, etc and was in that for about 9 years previous. In 1997, the job I had lumped in their fledgling web site as part of my responsibilities. By 1998, I started working at another company to develop their website. That same year, a friend of mine got a job at Ask.com (it used to be in metro Boston, east coast before it moved).

He told me about this cool new industry he was part of and introduced me to some of his colleagues. Over the next year or so, I had met more people at Ask.com and FAST..(FAST also used to be in Boston and a player in the space before it went strictly into enterprise search)...

My friend at Ask started feeding me stuff to read ----Danny Sullivan and the old Search Engine Watch Crew...Rand Fishkin, and of course....big drum roll......one of those things he suggested I check out was Jill's web site/newsletter. By the time I went to Jill's first ever seminar...that was it..I already knew I was hooked.

DJKay

#25 linkvoodoo

linkvoodoo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Narcotic @ Mar 16 2010, 12:32 PM) View Post
I found it by accident after messing around with social networks as a promotion stunt.

I'm a DJ / Producer and my myspace wasn't showing as the top result in google, not even on the first page at one point and I had no idea why. Now it does and I seem to have a bit of a thing for SEO.

How did you get started?

Messed around with computers as a kid and got really into programming in high school. It just seemed like a natural fit after everything I had taught myself.

#26 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I started by accident. I was working in an addiction treatment center as a counselor and their ranking was not great. I started from scratch on pretty much everything in the world of web. My contract was up with the company and I started my own websites and still learning about it every day which is the beauty of this filed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!