• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Making My Site Loading Faster

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

I have a joomla site. I want to make it load faster. I have reduce the size of my pictures which helped. I have 13 JavaScript that loads when you open the index page. Is there any ways that it can be concise or reduce. I read on the internet that there is something that can be done to minimize the number of script. I just cannot remember where I saw that.

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

There's a Firefox plugin called Yslow that can tell you a lot about what's slowing down your page. I recommend installing it and taking a look.

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Scottie @ Mar 15 2010, 02:53 PM) View Post
There's a Firefox plugin called Yslow that can tell you a lot about what's slowing down your page. I recommend installing it and taking a look.

Thanks, I have the plugin. This is where I got the data that I had 13 JavaScript loading. I was more looking for a way to speed up the loading of these script.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Could you combine the 13 different external js calls into a single one or at least fewer? Yes, you could. And it may even help load times a bit.

If you're looking mainly for load time improvement though you'll probably get more bang for the buck out of looking into compressing the http stream data on the fly. We had a thread about that recently, goodness knows where it is though. It's pretty simple to do and put into place.

The only caveat I'd throw in that I do not believe was in the original thread is that you need to be a bit careful if you have a significant number of corporate type users. Too many of those folks are forced to run the very old (circa 2001) orginal, pre-patched version of IE6. The first couple versions of that particular browser didn't play well with http stream compression. It's okay for html and plain text, but errors out if you try to dynamically compress something like a pdf file that is created with fpdf or something similar. Found that one out the hard way. wink1.gif

<edit to add>
Here are links to a couple of recent threads on the subject of compression.

This one
and this one

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Randy, when I use yslow they recommend "This page has 7 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one." I am not an expert so I will get the job done by someone. I just want to narrow down what has to be done. Because people has different views on it. That's what I was talking when I wrote the post.

I use Joomla and you hav an option to gzip a lot of stuff such as component, module etc. When I did it it really helped.

I am not sure what they mean by "combining them in to one"?

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am not sure what they mean by "combining them in to one"?

They mean simply merging all of the various js calls into a single file. It doesn't gain you a huge amount because the same amount of text is being read and processed. Just that there is one file lookup instead of seven.

#7 kieronhughes

kieronhughes

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

You can merge the JavaScript files into one single .js, and the CSS files into a single stylesheet, then use compression tools to make them even smaller.

Essentially you need to cut down the amount of external files being loaded when the web page is accessed - be that images, CSS, etc.

With images, try compressing them further using Yahoo Smush.It too - which is a very effective way of bringing page load time down.

Another method of speeding up the page is to reduce database calls - so try replacing any dynamically generated content with static calls if possible (such as querying the database for the website path, when you can just hardcode the URL).

How long does your site take to load currently?

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

"Minifying" files like the CSS is pretty simple and straightforward, especially since the plugin will create the new file for you. All it does is remove unnecessary spaces and line break, taking something like
CODE
#banner{
  padding:0;
  margin:0;
  background:#365FB7;
  color:#EFEAB3;
}

and turning it into
CODE
#banner{padding:0;margin:0;background:#365FB7;color:#EFEAB3;}

One suggestion that confuses me a bit is that one switch to a CSS embedded in the <head> rather than an external file. My understanding has always been that while it might be slower to fetch a separate CSS for the first page, it's cached after that, so any other pages one requests that use the same CSS will load faster.

But look at this page load speed test Firefox ran. They combined JS files and went with an inline CSS for their landing page and that sped up load time by an average of 2.2 seconds.

Maybe the point is that that strategy only works for a landing page, but any page can be a landing page.

#9 solutionbuilt

solutionbuilt

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

Another thing to look at is your server load. If you are with a shared host and they have a lot of other business's or people overusing the resources for that server it can affect your sites load time. If your site is mission critical, or you spend a lot of time and money on seo you may want to consider your own server with a backup solution. This can help protect your money and time investment while serving your visitors with speed and reliability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.