• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Permanent Redirect Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JustinToth

JustinToth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hey,

I have 2 domains running the same website right now (not good!). The old one is .net and I finally got the .com of the same so that's the new one. If know that I'm supposed to use a 301 permanent redirect to tell search engines about the new domain but I'm wondering how exactly that works. The first time the search engine goes to mydomain.net and gets 301'd to mydomain.com will it then update its records with mydomain.com and never link to mydomain.net again? Or do I need to keep the mydomain.net domain up indefinitely and the search engine will keep linking to it and 301'ing over to mydomain.com?

Thanks,
Justin

#2 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

Well, you could just keep things the way they are. You don't need to tell Google about the .com version. Having the dot com is really just a sales tactic for your .net domain to avoid losing traffic that wants to default to a .com. Simply forward your .com domain to the .net website (GoDaddy and some registrars don't charge for this).

Be sure to set things up properly so the engines don't index all the new pages under the .com name, presenting a fractured snapshot of the website that could hurt rankings.

There's an easy way to tell if it's set up properly: When you type in the .com URL in your browser, and it goes to the .net website, which URL is showing in the address area? You want it to be the primary one, which would be .net if you decide to keep things the way they are. It's easier than trying to rebrand your .com to a .net!

Lorelle (wearing my DomainNamesmith.com hat)

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

I disagree with Lorelle and would suggest that yes, you should 301 permanently redirect the .net to the .com and you should leave it in place forever, if you can.

This will transfer the link popularity of your .net to the .com over time and you should be fairly likely not to lose anything during the process.

#4 JustinToth

JustinToth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the replies! What if the .net domain already has good positions in the search results for phrases I'm targeting? If I 301 it over to .com then will the .com name take its place or will I lose all of those positions?

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

A 301 tells a search engine "This page has permanently moved". Basically, this page IS now that page.

There can be some fluctuations in search results while the change is being processed (I will admit I haven't done any moving in a while and don't know the current impact of changing domains) but like Jill, I believe it's worth it to go ahead and change over to the .com.

The important thing is to get as many of the outside links you have pointing to your site to change to pointing to the .com now.

#6 JustinToth

JustinToth

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Yeah the problem is little to none of the outside links are from me, just random people who liked the service, so I don't have any control over changing them.

I got my answer though, I'll 301 from example.net -> example.com and hopefully my search result positions won't suffer too much.

Thanks all for the input.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Scottie)
(I will admit I haven't done any moving in a while and don't know the current impact of changing domains)

I have had clients doing it and it's all been fine, at least for well-established sites. No more aging delay! yahoo.gif

#8 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

That's what I'm not up to speed on, so it's good to hear. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.