• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Problem With Forwarding Multiple Domains To Main Stie

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fredhahnel

fredhahnel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

I'm new to this forum and learning SEO.

My problem:

The company I work for, Freer Tool and Supply owns 26 domains that are parked at GoDaddy. There is no content or hosting at GoDaddy for these parked domains.
The 'main' website is www.freertool.com and is NOT hosted or registered with GoDaddy.
Our CEO's desire is to type in the name of one of the external domains purchased and have it show our 'main' page in the search. (i.e. he would type in worldclamps.com into Google and expect to links from Freer Tool).
For whatever reason, this works with about 50% of the domains at GoDaddy. I'm scratching my head and trying to figure out why this is happening. These domains are several months old.
I've done some reading in this forum about 301 redirects and also have used http header checkers. All of the headers from these 26 I've tested give a 200 code (even though I thought that I had 301's at GoDaddy).

Here's an example of one that works: www.naamssourcing.com (so if you type in naamssourcing.com into Google you will see links to Freer Tool)
Here's an example of one that DOESN'T work: www.worldclamps.com (don't see links in a search page from Freer Tool, in fact I see links to domaintools.net or whois pages!)

Can anyone shed some light about this?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

You simply cannot depend upon GoDaddy forwarding to work consistently well where redirects are concerned. Sadly, this has always been the case.

Your best option is probably to set the extra domain names up as Alias' of the main domain. Then doing the 301 redirect at the main domain level. The .htaccess to get them all --and force a www to rid your main domain of any possible canonical issues-- would look like:

CODE
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.maindomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.maindomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Even without the aliasing being set up the above would cure most of the problems. But if it were me I'd set up aliasing because you never know what GoDaddy may start doing with domain forwarding next week.

#3 fredhahnel

fredhahnel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 5 2010, 11:30 AM) View Post
You simply cannot depend upon GoDaddy forwarding to work consistently well where redirects are concerned. Sadly, this has always been the case.

Your best option is probably to set the extra domain names up as Alias' of the main domain. Then doing the 301 redirect at the main domain level. The .htaccess to get them all --and force a www to rid your main domain of any possible canonical issues-- would look like:

CODE
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.maindomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.maindomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Even without the aliasing being set up the above would cure most of the problems. But if it were me I'd set up aliasing because you never know what GoDaddy may start doing with domain forwarding next week.

I don't have root access to my 'main' domain. I do have an .htaccess file in my /public_html folder that I currently utilize. Would this work there?

Does aliasing get done by my hosting provider?

How do I write the rule as an example for xyz.com to direct to www.freertool.com?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

I don't have root access to my 'main' domain. I do have an .htaccess file in my /public_html folder that I currently utilize. Would this work there?

/public_html is the root level of the web space on a typical cPanel style web site. So yes this is the perfect place for it to go.

Does aliasing get done by my hosting provider?

Yes. Aliasing is also known as Parking a domain. By either name yes your hosting provider will need to be aware you want the domain(s) parked or aliased on top of a currently hosted site.

How do I write the rule as an example for xyz.com to direct to www.freertool.com?

Do you want to redirect by www and non-www traffic? Do you want to redirect to a page of the same name/location as in the original request?

Assuming the answers to both of these questions is Yes, it would look like

CODE
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?xyz\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.freertool.com/$1 [R=301,L]

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

The worldclamps.com site you mention in your first post isn't using redirection or parking. It's displaying your main site in a frame.

#6 fredhahnel

fredhahnel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 9 2010, 11:15 AM) View Post
The worldclamps.com site you mention in your first post isn't using redirection or parking. It's displaying your main site in a frame.

It should be going to freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php.

Is that what you are seeing? If that's so the redirect is OK.

The original question I had though pertains to typing in worldclamps.com into a Google search and having the website above show up in the search. That's what my CEO wants to see. This works for 50% of the domain names hosted at GoDaddy.
An example of one of the domains that works the way we want:

tiptopweldingtables.com redirects to freertool.com/distribution/Distribution2TIPTOP.html

Please bear in mind, again, that these are only domain names purchased at GoDaddy and no hosting plans are associated with them.

Edited by qwerty, 10 March 2010 - 11:11 AM.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

It's not going to freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php. It's displaying that page in a frame. Look at the source code:
HTML
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
<frame src="http://www.freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php" frameborder="0" />
<frame frameborder="0" noresize />
</frameset>

#8 fredhahnel

fredhahnel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 10 2010, 11:13 AM) View Post
It's not going to freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php. It's displaying that page in a frame. Look at the source code:
HTML
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
<frame src="http://www.freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php" frameborder="0" />
<frame frameborder="0" noresize />
</frameset>

That's strange because I even had somewhat at a former employer try it out and it works correctly. I still need to have the original question answered though (about the google search concerns).

Fred

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

I am answering your original question. Yes, you see the page freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php at worldclamps.com. But a search engine won't. Seeing the page is not an indication that the redirect is working. There is no redirect there.

The other example you gave redirects correctly. If I request naamssourcing.com this is how the server responds:
CODE
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Connection: close
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:50:04 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
Cache-Control: private
Content-Length: 0

That is not what happens when you request worldclamps.com. It loads a page from your main site in a frame. That's invisible to a search engine.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

Please bear in mind, again, that these are only domain names purchased at GoDaddy and no hosting plans are associated with them.

You have likely requested "frame forwarding" when you purchased some of the domains at GoDaddy.

#11 fredhahnel

fredhahnel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 10 2010, 01:12 PM) View Post
You have likely requested "frame forwarding" when you purchased some of the domains at GoDaddy.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check into that as well. That wasn't something I intentionally had asked for from them, so I'm wondering where I'd go to look for it on their site?

Fred

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Beats me. I don't use GoDaddy.

#13 lzr

lzr

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 10 2010, 12:56 PM) View Post
... Yes, you see the page freertool.com/product/clamps/prod_toggle_clamps.php at worldclamps.com. But a search engine won't. Seeing the page is not an indication that the redirect is working. There is no redirect there...

The other example you gave redirects correctly.... [/b]

If a hosting company forwards a domain "correctly", with what url the page content would be associated in the search engines index?
In other words, if newdomain.com is forwarded to maindomain.com/newdomain.html, and the latter url is dispalyed in a web browser when someone types newdomain.com, would search engines take the content of the page maindomain.com/newdomain.html and index it as the content of newdomain.com or maindomain.com/newdomain.html, or both?

Thanks,
lzr

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

The search engines would typically index the resulting URL not the one that redirects. But that's only when it's a 301. If it's a 302, they'll index the redirected URL as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.