• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo Still Indexing Site Under Old Domain Name, Many 404s

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Im working on an ecommerce site. The changed their domain name last June.

There are thousands of URLs indexed in Yahoo under the old domain still, and only two from the new domain, even 6 months having shut down Yahoo Search Submit (They learned their vendor continued to submit the old domain name, but again its been 6 months). Many of the old files listed in Yahoo result in 404s now

Some facts and things weve done -
  • A 301 has been working correctly at least since we started working with them in October. It redirects the old domain to the new
  • And XML site map has been in place and submitted for the new domain name since at least September
  • We submited a request for help via Yahoos Site Explorer account.
  • There are no other domain names they own that could be inadvertently pointing to the old domain name
  • The checked the live site to ensure there are no links using the old domain name
  • Weve had them contact the higher quality web sites that link to the old domain name to update their links (but again theres been a 301 in place anyway)

Any ideas???

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Any ideas???

Keep waiting?

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Unfortunately what Yahoo lists is out of your control geoinct. And they're notoriously slow about removing both 404'd and 301'd pages from their index.

#4 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Mar 4 2010, 02:35 PM) View Post
Unfortunately what Yahoo lists is out of your control geoinct. And they're notoriously slow about removing both 404'd and 301'd pages from their index.

I guess there's not much else we can do. Of course by the end of the year it won't matter anymore anyway (Thank God for Search Alliance!)

#5 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(geoinct @ Mar 4 2010, 06:20 PM) View Post
I guess there's not much else we can do. Of course by the end of the year it won't matter anymore anyway (Thank God for Search Alliance!)

Well Ill be Just heard from the customer. They just got a message from someone at Yahoo! Search Customer Care answering the request we submitted via their Yahoos Site Explorer account and offering to help resolve the issues. They asked a few more questions

Well see what happens

#6 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Still struggling with this clients indexing in Yahoo. No improvement since the last time

Now there are 2 pages indexed under the new domain and yahoo shows 25,000 inlinks point to it!

So I used a tool to download info on all these links. Scanning them I see a few problems including

Many of the incoming links are from off target sites (Ill need to check with the client to see if these are from affiliates or some link exchange they participated in), but, at least for Google this, in and or itself should not cause a real issue (they wont help, but they shouldnt hurt either) and I am assume the same is true in yahoo (?)

However Ive check a sampling of these incoming links and every one I look at is no longer available, I get either 404s, 403s (not authorized) or 500s (server error)

Im wondering if all these bad incoming links is a signal to Yahoo that has penalized the site? Of course I also wonder if this could be a signal for Google and Bing that may be hurting them now or in the future

PS - we got waht looks like a standard repsonse from the Yahoo rep "give it more time"

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

My Yahoo! referrals have dropped so low (about half what I receive from Bing, now) that I will probably start blocking their crawler around the end of May. I would say you should look at the return on investment.

#8 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 11 2010, 03:26 PM) View Post
My Yahoo! referrals have dropped so low (about half what I receive from Bing, now) that I will probably start blocking their crawler around the end of May. I would say you should look at the return on investment.

I know. I keep telling my client this. But Im concerned what I see with Yahoo may also be causing issues with Google (e.g. hurting their rankings).

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

I am pretty sure I'm not doing anything to violate Yahoo!'s Webmaster guidelines, but even if I am unwittingly doing so, all that becomes irrelevant by the end of the year anyway.

I can't convince your clients to forget about Yahoo!, but they may be chasing ghosts in the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!