• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Using Ppc Ads To Get Links

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Has anyone on here experience doing this effectively?

If you have a piece of compelling content targeting the linkers in your niche, with a real reason for them to want to share it with their audience built-in (say for language learning, it might be teachers of that language, because those are often the ones who have websites)...

...do you folks ever use PPC ads targeting those linkers (as opposed to sending out link requests)? and then track if the money you're spending on is worth the number of links you get from the campaign?

PS: I know I'm obsessed with it Randy, but I had to ask anyway lol wink1.gif

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

My simple answer to the question is No.

I never use PPC to for any link building. Only to bring traffic.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

I've never heard of anyone doing it, and honestly I can't imagine it would work.

My feeling is that ads are more for commercial stuff than link bait.

#4 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Mar 2 2010, 12:29 AM) View Post
I've never heard of anyone doing it, and honestly I can't imagine it would work.

My feeling is that ads are more for commercial stuff than link bait.

I know that Aaron Wall does it. He posted about it once or twice. I do remember asking him (in the blog comments) how he did it, and if he basically tracked how many ....wait a second Ill just search the blog post quickly wink1.gif

http://www.seobook.c...te-quitely-dies

Look at the bottom of the comments..he states "I've been a big fan of using PPC to drive organic links" (and links out to an old blog post - that one seems to be more about general stuff not exactly about using PPC to drive links, though - sorry cant look it up here in-depth as Im in a rush+at the library).

I mean why not use PPC ads, or forums where the linkers mingle to get the word out about your piece of content. I think it all depends on whether you can identify a group of linkers in your niche (e.g. spanish teachers for a website on learning spanish - b/c they often have websites on learning spanish); if you can do that you might be able to target them with PPC ads (or by finding forums where they hang out,etc.) and it might be more effective than sending out link requests (if you can target places where hundreds or thousands of them will see your "linkbait").

(OOOkay and of course it depends on the kind of link building approach you take, and if it actually works well enough in practice lol).

I have no idea how those adsense aka content ads work. Could you target a website of spanish teachers with them for example, in a way that they would see those ads displayed on their own websites? Then you could write those ads especially for them (to target themw ith your linkbait), so they (the spanish teachers) would click on them to get to your linkbait.

PS: I have some kind of special interest in this, because in Germany the laws are rather strict (though not very clear...) on this kind of thing, and nobody really knows whether a link request is legal or illegal, etc. (technically it is illegal, I think)....will learn more about this once I actually have time to do this stuff in the real world :-).

EDIT: I'm at home, now...looked it up, and the link actually is about the specific topic and he mentions using adwords ads, but seems to say it can be done with adsense ads, too. He did have another blog post about this, but I cant remember where it was.

Edited by PatrickGer, 02 March 2010 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!