• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Contradictions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wendi789

wendi789

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hello everone,
I'm new and this is my first post.
Forgive me if I put this in the wrong topic, offend anyone by questioning their suggestions and any spelling mistakes.

I've read through the Beginner Seo and related articles and it seems to me that the suggestions contradict each other.

Here the magic formula:

Keywords - The search engines are looking for pages that best fit the keyword phrase someone types into their little search box.
Try Google's Keyword Tool

Use the keywords to navigate site. Use exact brand names not general terms.

Minimize Java, plain graphics (not linked) and Flash – SE’s can’t read them.

Do use Graphic images navigation (pictures with links to other pages).

Fill in Alt Tags and anchor text with clear description or main keyword phrase.

Write content and use keywords in it at logical places, for the reader not the spider.

Use keyword phrases in each page’s Title Tag.

Put dash between points. Be different with each page.

Make your site link-worthy with other related sites.

Don’t get stuck with any one keyword or worry about rankings. It is what it is – don’t add irrelevant things to try to boost ranking.

Contradictions:

Try not to do this predictably as Google will notice and boot you out:

Some of the traditional SEO formulaic elements that you may have been taught to use include putting the keyword phrase:

in the domain name
in the file name
in the Title tag
in the Meta description tag
in the Meta keyword tag o in the image alt attributes
in an H1 (or any H) tag
as the first words on the page
in bold and/or italics or a different color
multiple times in the first paragraph or twice on the page
in the copy in every single spot on the page where it might possibly make sense to use it, and
in all the hyperlinks pointing to a page.

never use keyword-rich domain names or file names.

So in the end I guess try a little from column A and a little from column B?

Wendi

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,510 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

It's probably enough to say that "traditional SEO" is mainly BS made up by "experts" who know just about enough to be dangerous!!

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,671 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

It's not so much "try not to do this predictably." It's more like "when you do this, because it's common sense to do this, try not to scream so loudly about it that you go hoarse."

Think of the difference between a report on pandas written by a fourth grader and an article by a trained zoologist.

The fourth grader will give the report a title of "PANDAS". The introductory paragraph will be "This is my report on Pandas." Each sentence in the body of the report will begin with the word "pandas" and may repeat it once or twice on top of that. The conclusion of the report will be "This has been a report about Pandas."

Don't write like a fourth grader.

Edited by qwerty, 28 February 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#4 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 967 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Try not to do this predictably as Google will notice and boot you out:

That's not a contradiction. It's just plain wrong. What they probably meant was not to do anything excessively.

Just because the recipe calls for salt on your steak, it's usually a mistake to turn a pinch into a pound and half. Even then, your steak probably won't be booted. It will just taste like crap. To you, to your visitors, and yea, to Google, too. When you think it starts tasting like crap, back off. Pretty simple, uh?

There's nothing wrong with following a recipe. I make a devastating Swiss steak from my mom's old recipe and I wouldn't change it for the world.

If you're going to follow a recipe, though, you should remember that it IS a recipe. There are probably a few dozen very similar recipes for the same entrée. Some might even be contradictory, but because pallets are different (just as audiences are different), it's entirely possible that even the contradictions work for someone. Find the one that works for you.

Down the road, after you've explored a large handful of different recipes, you'll probably develop a better understanding of WHY someone wants you to salt your steak but not your ice cream.

When the why becomes apparent, you'll be ready to start devising your own contradictory recipes. smile.gif

#5 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

It's probably enough to say that "traditional SEO" is mainly BS made up by "experts" who know just about enough to be dangerous!!

Oh yeah, a little knowledge can be a truly dangerous thing... not just with SEO, but with about anything... unfortunately there are too many people out there who feel they need to have a strong opinion on things they are barely knowledgeable about (and thus often wrong).

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

I understand your confusion and how you see contradiction.

It seems to be quite common in the SEO world, one expert says one thing another expert disagrees, so if they are both 'experts' how come they don't agree.

Well that's because there is no such thing as a true expert, (well apart from those who write the G! algo!), some have used trial and error to assess what works and what doesn't , some have gained knowledge through forums such as this, and if the knowledge was incorrect, it's merley been esculated.

And yes we all have differing opinions, I don't agree the BS that you shouldn't use keywords in file names, I'll name my files what ever I please, whether it has any SEO weight, dunno, but if I've got a page about remortgaging a home, then it makes sense to call the file remortgage-your-home.html.

I'm not going to not use keywords because G! might think I'm trying to game something, that's just stupid.

And that's where most SEO lies, if it sounds stupid, if it seems like your trying to be devious, game the SE's, fool your visitors or hide content, spam keywords all over the place, in images, links, URLs filenames or anything else, well what does your common sense tell you?

you don't need some so called expert trying to tell you how to game the SE's, use your common sense and do the right thing by your visitors.

Yes of course use keywords, put them in your title, write a decent meta description, use keyworded domain names if it pleases you, use keywords in file names, if it makes it easy to identify what each page is for. Yes you need links and yes you need decent content as well as good copy text that contains the keyphrases you are targeting.

But before the SE's existed, if you were creating a page, semantically and standards compliant, well most of the SEO work would have already been done!

usefull anchor text, decent alt attributes, informative titles, decent content... if you want to ignore the bullshit and do things properly, then you've come to the right place.

And hey , even the Moderators, experts and regular members here on HRF, will sometimes have to agree to disagree, but that's life, not just because it's SEO!

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,187 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

@1dmf

appl.gif

#8 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Everything 1dmf said, plus ensure that your site is logically organized (for humans) and easily crawled by spiders and humans. SEO done.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,510 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I agree with Jill biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the