• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

% Of Clicks For Each Serp Result

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shamon

Shamon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

Hi All,

It seems that there is some dispute in what is normal or the "standard" distribution of clicks on a SERP page.

I suspect each SERP will be slightly different but there must be some general consensus.

So...I thought it might be interesting to get some opinions by/for the SEO community...

Now for the sake of this thread, lets say we are searching for "Blue Widgets";

I would estimate (based on nothing but previous experience in watching my site move up and down the SERP) that:

Result #1 - Gets about 60% of the clicks.

Results #2 & #3 - Get about 20% of the clicks.

Results #4-#10 - Get about 10% of the clicks

All other results - Get the remaining 10%.

The more people who share their opinion on this matter...the better.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

Personally I find it simpler not to care about "rankings" so such trivialities are not a concern.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Not really sure how one could estimate how many clicks a listing gets in various positions since there are so many factors that will contribute to that click.

Without actually watching people in person as they search, how can you even estimate how many you would get?

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Visual position in the Browser window can have an influence with middle screen doing very well. First place got a bad run for some years with Google bias toward useless directories so many searchers automatically dip below 1st and 2nd nowadays. Combine that with well written Titles and the question seems not to matter much at all. Position is by no means the only parameter in play here

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

People are still using the 2006 AOL data spill to estimate how many clicks each position gets. There are a lot of problems with that approach but it's the largest (and only) publicly distributed data set.

Rand Fishkin just published a chart on SEOmoz this morning showing his team's analysis of the data. It is essentially the same as what everyone else came up with.

Take those numbers with a grain of salt.

#6 PatrickGer

PatrickGer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

I think an important take-away from that AOL data spill, which I think overlaps quite well with what I see in real life, is that the v ast majority of people click the #1 result. Admittedly, I still do it way too often...assuming the #1 result is the best result for my search, obviously I should know better...but admittedly I dont (too many times). I wouldnt be surprised if most searchers (who dont do SEO) are like that - that they will click the #1 result over another result many, many, many times.

However, I think that if youre triyng to rank for high-ticket items, the #1 position might get way fewer clicks - or at least way fewer conversions....as I'd expect people to be more thorough about their research.
(then again this is a bit of a guess on my behalf..)

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(PatrickGer @ Mar 10 2010, 01:43 PM) View Post
I think an important take-away from that AOL data spill, which I think overlaps quite well with what I see in real life, is that the v ast majority of people click the #1 result....

Actually, I think you should say that a large minority of people click on the #1 result. Most if not all analyses show that fewer than 1/2 of people click on the 1st result.

However, what the analyses I have read fail to look at includes:
  • How many listings per result a typical user clicks on
  • How many pages per result a typical user clicks on
  • How many queries a typical user performs in a session (or arbitrary time window)
  • How many queries a typical user performs in a day, week, month, or quarter
  • How many search verticals the data represent
  • What the standard deviation is from the mean for those search verticals in terms of the various click metrics I describe above
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So when I say take all those analyses with a grain of salt, I MEAN it. They are really very shallow and don't provide much insight into search behavior.

However, I think that if youre triyng to rank for high-ticket items, the #1 position might get way fewer clicks - or at least way fewer conversions....as I'd expect people to be more thorough about their research.
(then again this is a bit of a guess on my behalf..)

Exactly.

#8 SEOreports

SEOreports

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

I think it is more important to look at how each ranking Converts. #1 may get you the most traffic, but are they converting (ie sales, signup, etc.). #2 and a #3 position may actually result in a better conversion rate and long term customers.

It is much more important to convert and engage the customer than looking at where your rankings are.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.