• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Geo-targeting Via Subdirectories In Google Webmaster Tools (gwt)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doughayman

doughayman

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

I have searched this forum and Google itself, and I have come up with several articles that state that you can geo-target subdirectories via GWT. Hence, I could have:

www.example.com/en/ -> Geo-Target US
www.example.com/de/ -> Geo-Target Germany
etc.

I do NOT see any facility currently, to facilitate geo-targeting at a sub-directory level. Have I missed something, or does Google no longer support this ?

For several reasons, I would prefer to have a multi-lingual site architected via sub-directories, rather than have separate TLD's for each.

Thanks in advance, for any information that can be provided on the above.

#2 hittjw

hittjw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

Doug,

How you handle multiple languages depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Some handle visitor language in the application (like message boards), others use sub-directories, sub-domains, or even different local domain names. It doesn't really matter what Google wants, do what makes it easy for your visitors and site management.

If you are worried about Google, I've seen separate sub-domains or domains each individually registered with Google Webmaster -- and Local Search. This can be costly because you'll do the same work multiple times, but in the case where you're foreign divisions are really separate, it can be most effective for optimization across the board.

Most of my sites and back-end commerce has a user option language selection. Advertising is delivered using geo-targeting. With content specific for a particular country on it's own domain.

Best,

Justin

#3 sofomor

sofomor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE(doughayman @ Feb 27 2010, 04:43 PM) View Post
I have searched this forum and Google itself, and I have come up with several articles that state that you can geo-target subdirectories via GWT. Hence, I could have:

www.example.com/en/ -> Geo-Target US
www.example.com/de/ -> Geo-Target Germany

etc.

I do NOT see any facility currently, to facilitate geo-targeting at a sub-directory level. Have I missed something, or does Google no longer support this ?

For several reasons, I would prefer to have a multi-lingual site architected via sub-directories, rather than have separate TLD's for each.

Thanks in advance, for any information that can be provided on the above.

Hello doughayman,

Pretty simple. You need to add each "domain sub folder" as a "new site" in your WMT panel, then individually GEO target them to your specific area. Also, if your main domain "www.example.com" is verified with your WMT, you'll get your other "domain sub folder" automatically.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!