• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Our Website Moving Up And Down All The Time For Google Searches

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:06 AM

Our website keeps on moving up and down for google searches.

e.g. one keyword phrase was at the 2nd page yesterday, I looked at today it is at 22nd page.

What is causing this. We are doing link building for a while (last one month).

Can this cause the issue?

We are stable with yahoo and bing. We come up on the first page.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:11 AM

5 Reasons [url=http://searchengineland.com/080131-071244.php]Why Rankings Are a Poor Measure of Success[/url]

Edited by chrishirst, 26 February 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#3 Shamon

Shamon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ Feb 26 2010, 02:06 AM) View Post
Our website keeps on moving up and down for google searches.

e.g. one keyword phrase was at the 2nd page yesterday, I looked at today it is at 22nd page.

What is causing this. We are doing link building for a while (last one month).

Can this cause the issue?
We are stable with yahoo and bing. We come up on the first page.

If your total number of backlinks went from 5 to 100 in a "short-ish" time, you are likely to get -10, -20, or -30 penalty meaning you get dropped by that many results. In my case it happened after we submitted about 15 articles to about 50 directories. We went from #3 to #12 within a week. I eventually realized what was happening and applied to G for a reconsideration. After about 3 months we recovered, and progressed past the original spot.

Sometimes G does a short test of a newer version the their algo. Last night for example, I was pleased to see our site ranking #1 for a specific KW. Earlier in the day we were #2. I had made no changes to the site, link structure, etc. This morning we were back to #2. I'd say G rolled out a new Algo, then compared bounce rates and time on sites for the new version with the old version. If the new version has a lower bounce rate and higher time on site, then they keep it because its providing more relavant sites to users. Obviously the opposite is true and they would revert to the original algo.

It seems to me that this happends about once every month or 6 weeks which explain some of the movement in sites.

Granted this is usually one or two spots not 20 pages as is the case in the original post. girl_cray2.gif

#4 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

I would like to see others opinion about what shamon said.

Yes in fact we built about 100 extra links over a few days. I searched around and decided that if you dont use any automated backlinking services or somethink like that, it wouldn't be a problem.

I am not getting 100s or 1000s link in a short time.

100 link in 3 days is that too many?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

100 link in 3 days is that too many?

It depends ali0303. In large part on other details of the site in question.

If it had been an active site and only had a few links prior, then adding 100 in 3 days is going to look not quite natural at first blush. Not that it'll hurt you in the long run, but it will take them a bit of time to sort out why the sudden and rather drastic change. This assumes of course that all of the incoming links are of decent quality and that you're not up to any funny business when the engines put your site through the wringer a bit more because of the sudden appearance of tons more links.

Conversely, if you already had a ton of links, say 1000 or so, adding 100 in a short span isn't going to have nearly the same effect. Because it simply looks more natural.

And you didn't say, was your site on page 2 before you started link building? Or was it on page 22 before and the page 2 is an improvement?

I ask because it's also not only very, very possible but highly likely that you're connecting to different datacenters when you conduct your searches. Some may have all of the new link graph data, some may have none of it and some my have part of it. This is one of those reasons [url=http://searchengineland.com/080131-071244.php]Why Rankings Are a Poor Measure of Success[/url]. You can never be sure exactly what you're seeing, or indeed if what you're seeing is the same people making up your target market are seeing.

In short, you've not given nearly enough detail to leap to any of the dozens of possible conclusions out there. And at this point does it really matter anyway? If the increase in links over a short time span is causing a problem it's not like you can take it back. That die has been cast.

#6 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

My main page was on page 2 yesterday and I've been building backlink last a few days. I always check for specific keywords(3) which I am building backlink for.

They all drooped down average 10-20 pages each. Other pages I rank well for are steady and remain same. The only page (main page) droped which I am building backlink for.

My website is 8-10 months old. Before I started to build backlink I had about 50 backlinks and now I have about 160. But 30 of them comes from one website which is a blog I put a comment. It is only one comment but backlink checker shows around 30 backlink from that website. When I check the backlink I can't see my comment there. It is strange.

When I check with google webmaster I have about 80 backlinks.

my website is www.supergoldwidget.com

when I search for "super gold widget" It is ranked no#2

That is all I can say really.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

Rather than wasting your time checking rankings for keyword phrases people may or may not be searching for, have you looked at your web analytics to see how your traffic is doing?

Have you lost any traffic and conversions during this period?

#8 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 27 2010, 04:57 AM) View Post
Rather than wasting your time checking rankings for keyword phrases people may or may not be searching for, have you looked at your web analytics to see how your traffic is doing?

Have you lost any traffic and conversions during this period?

Most of my traffic comes through product pages so in that respect I haven't lost much.

It is just annoying to see google pushing you down as soon as you start building backlinking.

Clearly I panic and start questioning. What the hell is going on? Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

p.s You will say again stop checking. But I checked it again today smile.gif. For two keyword phrase 2 pages up for each and one keyword phrase 2 pages lower than yesterday

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Most of my traffic comes through product pages so in that respect I haven't lost much.

Then concentrate on what matters rather than wasting time on that which doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!