• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Rss Feeds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 conlopez

conlopez

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Do RSS feeds affect my serps one way or the other? I am interested in adding a lot them to one of my sites in order to provide useful information to my users. If I create a page on my site on a particular subject that there are lots of news feeds and blogs out there writing about, (as an example, autism) is there a downside or an upside to that PAGE on my site (that is not about autism) having several RSS feed on the page www.mysite.com/autism?

My site is a community site and I want to have several of these sort of pages dedicated to different subject matters.

Also, to really show you my lack of understanding, RSS feeds don't present a duplicate content issue do they? I am just providing headlines linking to the source of the information which my users may want to click to.

Finally, these feeds seem to have snippets of the actual post when one does a mouseover. That's not an issue is it?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

The RSS feeds are not going to have much of a direct effect on your rankings, no. About the most it may do is aid in getting some of your content spidered by giving the bots another path to find it. However this assumes you're having issues getting content spidered, and there are plenty of ways to make sure this happens.

If it were as easy setting up an RSS feed to jump to the top of the heap absolutely every site out there would have feeds. They don't.

Your example of using a keyworded URL (a page at www.yoursite.com/autism when the page content is not about autism) is not going to make that page magically rank well for the term autism. There are probably more than 500 threads around HRF about keyworded urls over the years Again, if it were that easy all of those folks using keyworded URLs would be a lot more successful than they are. wink1.gif

re: RSS feeds and duplicate content. No, it's not seen as duplicate content. Because RSS feeds are not seen as content in the same way actual content is. Plus, there is no such thing as a duplicate content penalty. So there's nothing to worry about on that front in the first place.

re: Mouseover snippets. As a general rule, Yes the anchor text of a link can have a positive effect with regard to the words that are being used in the anchor text. Both for the page it appears on and the page the link points to. But when you start talking about entire snippets appearing in the anchor text, you lose most of this oomph. In effect having lots of text in the anchor text ends up watering down the positive effect.

To bottom line it - RSS feeds can help with Discovery where the search engines are concerned. But that's about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!