• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Adwords

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Margaret

Margaret

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi folks

I am new to Google Adwords and figuring it out very slowly - its an age thing.......

I have set up an initial campaign with about 25 key words very specifically targeted around car hire at Inverness Airport with 6 potential ads. After reading some of the forum posts here I have disabled both mobile devices and content network. I have set my budget per day quite low to start with at 5 and automatic bidding however so far it has not cost more than 1 per day. Now I know that sounds positive but despite the fact it says the campaign is running and, so far today reports one of my ads was displayed 92 times, I can't see my ad being displayed whenever I look - using the Opportunities Ad Preview tool as recommended by Google.

Had no return on investment so far - only one enquiry out of three hits yesterday was from a French company running golf vacations looking for a link to their site!

Am I doing something wrong?

Margaret

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

From my understanding, it's best to open up your budget pretty high when you're first running your ads so that you can be sure your ads are displayed all the time.

Then after a month or so of data you can cull out the non-performing keywords and ads and also know how to set your budget.

#3 Margaret

Margaret

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 24 2010, 10:11 AM) View Post
From my understanding, it's best to open up your budget pretty high when you're first running your ads so that you can be sure your ads are displayed all the time.

Then after a month or so of data you can cull out the non-performing keywords and ads and also know how to set your budget.

Thanks Jill I will give it a try although when I checked the settings it said my budget was fine but I doubled it anyway to see if it makes any difference.

Margaret

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

How many click thru's did you receive for those 92 impressions? Was that the 3 hits you spoke of? If so, you're probably not far off of the norm where Click Thru Rate is concerned. Not that you should settle for the norm, mind you. The norm sucks because most PPC ad buyers don't really know what they're doing and are lucky to break even.

Also how well do your Adwords ads speak to the search terms you're targeting? Especially the title of your ads?

As you might suspect, writing ads that pull clicks is something of an art form. The closer you can get your ads to addressing the need evidenced by the search terms you're targeting, the higher your CTR or click thru rate. Believe or not this is quite important because if you obtain a high CTR you can actually end up getting more ad displays for less money, and get your ad to display in a higher position than would be the norm for your ad bid cost. On the ad placement question as a very, very general rule I've always found it best to make sure my PPC ads appear in the top 2 or 3 spots on the page. Any lower and it seems to adversely affect CTR, thus causing me to have to pay a bit more to drive my ad up the page so that it gets noticed. Though if the ad itself is well targeted I can back off on the bid amount once I've established a good CTR over a few weeks.

Just as importantly if not more so, you'll also want to make sure your landing page speaks to those same issue your ads do, and provides a solution to the problem. This will drive higher your conversion rates be for the clicks received, thus making your PPC campaign successful.

It's not a subject that can be satisfactorily covered in a short post in my experience. Heck, people have written entire books about writing PPC ads that pull clicks and obtain decent CTR so you get good ad positioning without breaking the bank. Others have written entire books about creating PPC landing pages that convert visitors into buyers.

#5 Margaret

Margaret

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Feb 24 2010, 04:31 PM) View Post
How many click thru's did you receive for those 92 impressions? Was that the 3 hits you spoke of? If so, you're probably not far off of the norm where Click Thru Rate is concerned. Not that you should settle for the norm, mind you. The norm sucks because most PPC ad buyers don't really know what they're doing and are lucky to break even.

Also how well do your Adwords ads speak to the search terms you're targeting? Especially the title of your ads?

Top keywords are Car Hire Inverness and for 870 impressions we got 14 clicks which is a 1.61% success but for Car Rental Inverness there were only 287 impressions and 6 clicks which is a 2.09% success rate. Average position is 5.9 for both and they both have a quality score of 7/10. I am running a series of ad's but Google seems to be favouring one over all the others and it has the Keyword tag in the title so mostly it will show the search term as the title line.

So far this has cost 11 so not a fortune and I will be monitoring it very closely to ensure it doesn't cost more than we make. From what you were saying Randy you wouldn't go for the automatic bidding option at the beginning of a campaign? The cost per click seems to vary between 20 pence and 60 pence depending on the time of day. Would you suggest putting in a high bid to get a higher position?

Thanks for all the advice.

Margaret

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

You can certainly test auto bidding Margaret. But the more control you hand over to such automated processes the more closely you need to watch all of the moving parts to make sure you don't end up with a campaign that costs you more than it's bringing in.

I test a load of different things with my PPC campaigns. Some work, some don't. And there's not a blanket type of rule I could give you to say This Will Absolutely Work or This Doesn't Work. It often depends upon the market segment and the implementation.

You can certainly give it a try. Just be sure you carve out some time to keep an eye on things so you don't end up racking up a huge bill with not enough income to justify the expense.

#7 hittjw

hittjw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Margaret,

You're advertising a car hire service near an Airport, Why disable mobile advertising? Coming off the plane in Orlando earlier this month, the mobile is the first place I looked for ground transportation. If you dial in on your target market close enough mobile may bring you relevant buyers, just setup a separate campaign so you'll know for sure.

Next compare the results you're getting on Google Adwords with other marketing channels. You may not be doing anything wrong, it may be that you have a higher cost per sale than you expect. There could be issues with your landing page, or those visitors may not be buyers, or your sample is too small.

Best,

Justin

P. s. Never mention your keyword phrases here or anywhere else, that's a sure-fire way to increase your costs. Just say, "keyword phrase A had 870 impressions, got 14 clicks, where phrase B had 287 impressions with 6 clicks" -- don't want to introduce more competitors when you later post about something working for you.

#8 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:55 AM

Margaret

There is a good video from google by Hal Varian that explains how PPC ads work, it's long winded but worth a watch.

Hal Varian Video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!