• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Lots Of Money = Good Rankings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richiepearce

richiepearce

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

Firstly, hello again as I have been away from the forum for a few years but hope to be a regular again bye1.gif

I do have a question though and hope that someone may have the answer for me.

How do large companies or well known retail stores achieve high rankings. For example, if you were to type 'Game' in Google UK, the shop with that name appears number 1 in the results.

Now the word Game appears on millions of sites, yet they still remain at number one. My question is, how do they achieve this, is it by paying for high PR or relevant backlinks?

This is purely as an example and I am not thinking of launching a game store smile.gif

Is it a case of if you have the cash then you can rank high in the search engines.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

For the most part, for things like that it's old fashioned marketing, branding and advertising. If you can become known as "the place for games" (or whatever) other sites will naturally link to you when they're talking about games.

#3 richiepearce

richiepearce

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Jill, so by them being well known brands already, as you say people will no doubt be adding links to them in discussion forums and the like.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,583 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

There's also the idea that the people at the search engines would look bad if the engine failed to return a well-known brand for a search on its name, no matter how unfriendly the site might be to search engines. If I search for Pepsi, I'd better see pepsi.com at or near the top of the results, no matter how many other well-optimized sites about Pepsi there may be out there. If I don't, my assumption is going to be that something's wrong with the search engine, not with Pepsi.

A few years ago, one of BMW's sites got called out for using hidden text and was removed from the results, but Google made the whole thing public. BMW fixed the spam right away and they were back in the SERPs in a matter of days. That wouldn't have happened if the site in question belonged to some guy's BMW parts site. It might have taken that site months to get back in Google's good graces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!